06 Explorer Transmission Problem Maybe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Transmission Problem Maybe?

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
Well i just recently purchased a 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 with 70,000 miles and today i noticed that when i put the truck into reverse, it feels as if it knocks into reverse, i alway leave my foot on the brake while it is being put into reverse to make sure it doesn't slip or tear up other gears, is this the beginning of transmission problems, it is smooth around town and on the highway, should i have the fluid flushed or have the computer reprogrammed? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi 16EBBOY, This must be a common thing with the 06 Explorer cause mine does the same thing. It will slam into gear & of course it wouldnt do it when I took it to the shop. The Shifter was replaced but obviously thats not the problem. Now the drivers side third row seat doesnt want to go back down, it makes an awful sound but does nothing. That looks to be common with this Explorer, hopefully you wont have this problem. I love my explorer besides all the issues with it! Hopefully its nothing major going on with it, good luck!

My tranny slams into gear too. 3rd gen 2002 limited W/4.6 Guess it's just common

Hopefully you guys have had your problem fixed by now, but if not maybe I can help. I had the same issue so I took it back to my dealer twice and on the second time they finally acknowledged the issue. Apparently it's the solenoid in the tranny. The mechanic told me that Ford has gone through three different models of solenoids which apparently are the cause of all the shifting issues with the explorers. He said it should have been a recall, but instead they sent a "memo" to the dealers telling them to switch out model A solenoid (not sure the exact model number) for model B solenoid if explorer owners come in with the shifting issues. He did some sort of test on it prior to make sure that was the problem and it was. Unfortunately it is an expensive fix. I think close to $1800!

Almost forgot, it's been about 4 months since I had mine repaired and it's been shifting very smooth ever since!

so was this free? i dont have an extended warrunty. and also is this throughout all ford dealers or do you think it was just maybe those around your area?

No, this wasn't free. I bought the extended warranty so it only cost me $100, but the bill said it would have been close to $1800. I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper if you go to an independent transmission shop. As far as I know any Ford dealer has this info.

Back