• Register Today It's free!

06 XLT 4x4 overheated

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
So I have a 06 XLT 4x4 with 14x,x.. miles. I recently changed the radiator, waterpump, upper and lower rad hoses, rad cap, but NOT the thermostat. The other day while going home from the beach I was following my wife who was driving the truck home and she pulls over due to the truck overheating. Coolant everywhere! Radiator was dry. The parts mentioned above that I replaced looked good. I'm suspecting the thermostat or some hoses associated with it. I don't have a pressure tester, but I did order a new thermostat housing and thermostat from rock auto. Dormain kit. I'll swap it out when I do get it and fill up the system and go from there.

When it cooled down I started the truck just to see if it would run. It started with no hesitation. Checked the oil. No coolant in the oil. I had it towed back to my house, and drove it into my garage which was 15 feet away no problem. This is where the truck sits till the part arrives. Anyone has any insight to where I can check for leaks because I can't see any except the puddle behind the thermostat housing from where ever the leak came from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I was thinking. When I get the part I'lL update the post when everything comes off.

Tomorrow I have a friend that has the tool to pressurize the cooling system. I'll go from there.

Update: filled the radiator with coolant after 1 1/2 gallons, coolant strated leaking from you guessed it. The thermostat housing. Leak came out from the middle of the upper and lower housing. Ordered the Dormain upper and lower + thermoStat kit from ROCK AUTO. When it arrives hopefully by the end of the week I'll install and update this thread.

Back