'07 Explorer / Mountaineer Power running boards? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'07 Explorer / Mountaineer Power running boards?

bald russ

Reaction score
City, State
Parma, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
Anyone used Mountaineer power hinge assemblies on an Explorer? Ford says they have different part numbers for Explorers, but no reason as to why. The 2006-2010 seem to have the exact same body. The only real difference I have seen, is the board is different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Stock 2006 - 2010 subforum. The right folks should see it here.

running boards

I would believe you can mount the running boards easily. The wiring would be the interesting part. do you have the gauges with the large message screen? because the three buttons for the message center control functions of the boards in and out.

Already have power boards on my Explorer. Passenger side is inop because of bent hinges. Ford lists different part numbers for the Explorer's hinge assembly and the Mountaineers. Appear it will bolt in and both connectors are same. If they use different part numbers, there should be something different. I suspect it is the amount of travel when they fold up. Ford parts can not eplain the difference in part numbers.

I agree that the mounting location and the connectors would be the same but most likely a difference in the length of travel or the shape of the running board itself. If you can find one in a local parts recycler that would be your best bet. What specs do you need? I can take a close up pic of my Mounty board hinge and post it since I have never seen an Ex. with factory running boards before.

Thank you for the offer but I already have seen them on Mountaineers. They look exactly like mine, only the actual board is different. My best guess is the travel on the hinges is different from the Explorer. Would like to know for sure before sending the money on a best guess. The more I talk to Ford the cloudier it gets.

So I think the difference is the articulation of the hinge for the stowed position. The Mounty boards, as you appear to know, are flat, thin and they look wider than the Exp boards. Our boards are shaped kinda like a boat if you view it from the front or back.

My thoughts, for what they're worth is that because we know the body of the Mounty and the Exp are the same, these boards will work. You'll probably just want to get both sides so they match.

I'm assuming you're eyeing the ones listed for around $400 shipped.

For what it's worth, if you think the actual hinges can be broken down and repaired, I have the left side complete except for the board. The motor/trans is junk, but the hinges work perfectly. I'll let it go cheap if you're interested and I'm local so no shipping. PM me if you want to explore (pun intended) that possibility.

Back