07 Sport trac bed storage components | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Sport trac bed storage components

LorenzoGarbanzo

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
Sport Trac Bed components.png

I'm trying to find a couple of parts to make my in-bed storage boxes usable again. (Refer to diagram)

1-2: The hinge has broken on both of my side storage boxes, I can't find this part by number anywhere. I'm unsure if I can even get the part, salvage it without breaking it, or modify with a different type of hinge. Has anyone run into this?

9: The strut has gone bad on my front compartment, I found the part online for about $200 think that's a bit much. Is there a cheaper option out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 1-2 (or do you mean 3 since it's highlighted?): You might be able to make the hinge (#3?) with some good quality plastic that can take a lot of bending. This hinge is really hard to remove. I got one at a salvage yard and since there's a tab I couldn't get to, I ended up taking the fender off.
Is #1 plastic/SMC (sheet molding compound) and part of the bed? It should be good right?
#2 is the door seal which you could make it some weatherstripping.

For 9: There's a non-OEM strut an Amazon (2 for $35, just search for 7A24-99286D18-AB). Otherwise there should be a manufactures P/N on it. Or maybe use a similar gas strut (this one is 7.8" extended).
Hope this helps some,
Steve

For 1-2 (or do you mean 3 since it's highlighted?): You might be able to make the hinge (#3?) with some good quality plastic that can take a lot of bending. This hinge is really hard to remove. I got one at a salvage yard and since there's a tab I couldn't get to, I ended up taking the fender off.
Is #1 plastic/SMC (sheet molding compound) and part of the bed? It should be good right?
#2 is the door seal which you could make it some weatherstripping.

For 9: There's a non-OEM strut an Amazon (2 for $35, just search for 7A24-99286D18-AB). Otherwise there should be a manufactures P/N on it. Or maybe use a similar gas strut (this one is 7.8" extended).
Hope this helps some,
Steve
I did mean 1 & 3. Typo. I did find some plastic hinge material that looks kind of similar to the stock hinge that can be cut to fit. I'm also considering some sort of metal hinge to put in place. Thanks for all the info.

I found one in a salvage yard but is starting to tear but it made me think you could mold one from parts of the original. I had to do that with the hinge corners on my Tonneau cover although they don't need to flex like this hinge needs to. I also made a hinge seal from some scrap EPDM (UV resistant) rubber which is another option. Just some thoughts.

Back