• Register Today It's free!

08 Explorer 3rd gear slip

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
My family took our 08 Explorer on a road trip to the mountains this past week. When we were heading home today, the transmission feels like it is slipping from the 2nd gear to the 3rd gear shift. It feels like there is no 3rd gear. When it tries to shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, the RPM's increase significantly then if I let off the gas it feels like it just goes straight to 4th gear. This is the 4.0 V6 4X4 with the 5 speed transmission (5R55S I belive)

After a few hours of driving while coming to a stop, the wrench light came on in the dash and then the shifts from park to reverse and to drive were harsh and then the shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear was VERY harsh, felt a really hard slam in to gear. When I turned off the engine, let it rest 5-10 mins and restarted the engine, then wrench light was not illuminated. After the wrench light was not illuminated, the slipping feeling from 2nd gear to 3rd gear came back but no harsh slamming.

Again drove a few more hours, came to a stop, the wrench light came on and this time the check engine light came on at the same time. Again, harsh slam shifting from 2 to 3 and from park to reverse to drive. This time I noticed when in reverse, it felt like it was slipping also, very jittery.

Finally got it home and put a code reader on it while the wrench light and check engine light were both illuminated. Here are the codes it pulled:

P0745 - PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID "A"
P0733 - GEAR 3 INCORRECT RATIO

What could be the issue or what parts need to be replaced......or does it need to go to the transmission shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The computer has seen a problem with the transmission, when this happens the computer sets a code and maxes the line pressure to help protect the transmission, that's why the hard shift.

Based on your codes and your description 3rd gear is not engaging. Most likely the intermediate band has broken or the intermediate servo has failed, that is what the most common reasons are for this issue.

One way to help figure it out would be to see how many time the intermediate band adjustment bolt will turn in, if it turns in more that 3 turns there is a good chance the band is broken. If the band has broken the transmission will have to come out of the vehicle to be repaired/rebuilt.

If the band tightens around 2 turns the band could be fine and the servo could be the issue. The servos have a tendency to crack.

5r55w band adjustment.jpg

The computer has seen a problem with the transmission, when this happens the computer sets a code and maxes the line pressure to help protect the transmission, that's why the hard shift.

Based on your codes and your description 3rd gear is not engaging. Most likely the intermediate band has broken or the intermediate servo has failed, that is what the most common reasons are for this issue.

One way to help figure it out would be to see how many time the intermediate band adjustment bolt will turn in, if it turns in more that 3 turns there is a good chance the band is broken. If the band has broken the transmission will have to come out of the vehicle to be repaired/rebuilt.

If the band tightens around 2 turns the band could be fine and the servo could be the issue. The servos have a tendency to crack.

View attachment 327155
I went by a local small non chain transmission shop. I showed the guy the codes and described the symptoms. He said they first check the servo and servo o-ring to see if that was boken/cracked or damaged. Then he mentioned the band and said if the band was broken then the transmission would have to be removed and rebuilt.

They quoted me $3100 out the door with the trans being rebuilt and a reman torque converter. Said he uses Borg Werner parts?

Are borg werner parts quality or does this seem too much for a rebuild if needed?

I went by a local small non chain transmission shop. I showed the guy the codes and described the symptoms. He said they first check the servo and servo o-ring to see if that was boken/cracked or damaged. Then he mentioned the band and said if the band was broken then the transmission would have to be removed and rebuilt.

They quoted me $3100 out the door with the trans being rebuilt and a reman torque converter. Said he uses Borg Werner parts?

Are borg werner parts quality or does this seem too much for a rebuild if needed?
What warranty comes with it? You can get remanufactured ones with 3-5 years/100k mile warranties. A rebuilt transmission is not as good as a remanufactured transmission.

What warranty comes with it? You can get remanufactured ones with 3-5 years/100k mile warranties. A rebuilt transmission is not as good as a remanufactured transmission.
They said it only comes with a 1 year or I believe a 12,000 mile warranty. Then he said if something goes wrong after that they would pro rate it.... not sure how that would work.

Where would I look for or pick up a remanufactured trans? Right now I have an appointment scheduled with the Ford dealer next week but I know that is going to be much more $$$$. Looking for good alternatives than taking it to a dealer. Usually I work on my on stuff but I don't really do trans work except for the basic drop the pan and fluid/filter stuff.

3100.00 seems high for this transmission and you should be able to find a cheaper price and a better warranty.

I would use a transmission shop for the repair and not the dealer unless cost is not a issue. If you buy a transmission and pay someone to put it in what would happen if there is a problem? You would have to figure out what's wrong with it and who is to blame, if its the transmission you will have to pay that person all over again to pull it out and you would have to ship it back and wait, then pay him to put it back in. If the transmission shop does the repair you take it back to them and they take care of all of it and call you when its done.

I just dealt with a shop last week in Mustang OK, he helped me out of jamb and was easy to work with, I can give you his contact info if you would like or I can find another shop in your area if you would like.

3100.00 seems high for this transmission and you should be able to find a cheaper price and a better warranty.

I would use a transmission shop for the repair and not the dealer unless cost is not a issue. If you buy a transmission and pay someone to put it in what would happen if there is a problem? You would have to figure out what's wrong with it and who is to blame, if its the transmission you will have to pay that person all over again to pull it out and you would have to ship it back and wait, then pay him to put it back in. If the transmission shop does the repair you take it back to them and they take care of all of it and call you when its done.

I just dealt with a shop last week in Mustang OK, he helped me out of jamb and was easy to work with, I can give you his contact info if you would like or I can find another shop in your area if you would like.
Yeah, PM me the info about the shop in Mustang or if you know of or have dealt with any other trans shops in the Oklahoma City, Mustang or Yukon areas.

I looked on the ford parts website, a reman 5R55S from Ford is around $2800.00. My explorer is 4x4 so I'm sure there is extra labor cost involved with having to remove the transfer case.

I've seen several websites that ship reman 5R55S, have longer warranties and are cheaper, but I know nothing of their reputations.

They said it only comes with a 1 year or I believe a 12,000 mile warranty. Then he said if something goes wrong after that they would pro rate it.... not sure how that would work.

Where would I look for or pick up a remanufactured trans? Right now I have an appointment scheduled with the Ford dealer next week but I know that is going to be much more $$$$. Looking for good alternatives than taking it to a dealer. Usually I work on my on stuff but I don't really do trans work except for the basic drop the pan and fluid/filter stuff.
I would probably buy one from here if I needed a remanufactured transmission. They have a 5 year/100k mile warranty and had been in business for a very long time. They also detail how they remanufacture their transmissions and dyno test every one they sell. They will also cover labor costs at a $50/hour rate which is not too bad if the transmission was installed by a licensed repair facility.

Historically Borg Warner parts have been good Quality. Guessing a labor rate of around $100/ hr plus parts and supplies ( ATF etc. ) this doesnt sound too unreasonable a quote to me. Plus labor rates are probably higher than that. My qualifications are 45 years professional auto mechanic.

Back