08 LTD. changing Instrument panel bulbs requires "programming"??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 LTD. changing Instrument panel bulbs requires "programming"???

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
I am looking at the Ford service manual for my vehicle. 2008 Explorer Ltd 4.6L.

I want to:

A. Find out how many instrument cluster illumination bulbs there are.
B. determine which ones are working and which ones are out.
C. Find out how to remove the Instrument Cluster and replace the ones that don't work.

Ordinarily, I would just start taking it apart, and when I got them out, go buy some. But after discovering that the headlight switch illuminates with a special bulb, I wanted to look this up in the manual before embarking.

Come to find out, the manual says that before you remove the IC (instrument cluster), you have to "download" program information to some kind of device. Then remove the panel, change the bulbs, reconnect the panel, and "upload" the program to it.

It mentions that this will mess with the PATS system and could cause a no-start condition, among several other issues. This is the first I have heard of any of this. What is the deal with this?

The manual does not show my exact instrument cluster. I have the one with the larger of the two message displays.

My understanding is that most of the bulbs are 194s. Is that accurate ?

Anyone have any more information that may help with my bulb replacement?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to see the responses. My temp bulb went out and was about to replace it. If this is the case with PATS, then it is stupid. I hope not.

Flag,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had seen that post late last week. I think my IC is different. This appears to be the one that is "simpler". Smaller information screen etc. That is the issue that has me wondering. I'll post a reference to my link there, and see if the OP replies. Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation Lukas. Any idea how many "back lighting" bulbs there are?

I am guessing 4. Excluding the warning and indicators. I am just referencing the back lighting bulbs. I have the "white" gauges, and they are green at night. One side, I think the duel side is rather dim and difficult to see.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that all of the seven bulbs are used for back lighting.
Have a look at their cluster position at the backside and compare to the front.
That makes sense!
And until now I didn't have to change any of my bulbs because they all still work fine.
BTW, I hate my white gauges, because in the early evening, with lights on, there are moments when I'm not able to read the instruments.
Especially because here I have to read the small kilometer units. (left picture)
There is a low contrast between the white gauges and the illuminated numbers.

7584867vyl.jpg

Looking through this site it appears that there is one bulb for the speedo and one for the tach, however half my speedo is bright and the left side of the gage (0-50 mph) is dark. Anyone ever seen this? It's an 07 xlt.

I just fixed a burned out bulb that covered half of the speedometer in my 2010 Mountaineer. There are two bulbs that illuminate the tach and speedometer. It is super easy to remove the instrument cluster to replace the bulbs. I replaced all the bulbs in the cluster since I bought eight of them for $12 on Amazon.

BTW, I hate my white gauges, because in the early evening, with lights on, there are moments when I'm not able to read the instruments.
Especially because here I have to read the small kilometer units. (left picture)
There is a low contrast between the white gauges and the illuminated numbers.

I find your comment here a little funny because I have the opposite issue. The gauge faces in my Mountaineer are black and in the daylight I find them harder to read due to a lack of contrast between the white letters and numbers (which aren't all that white and are more greyish) and the black background. I wish I had your type of faces to make reading the gauges in the daytime easier. At least in your situation the duration of the time where reading them is an issue is much shorter overall. I guess Ford didn't offer a solution to make everyone happy.

Back