'09 Spongy brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'09 Spongy brake

gulftracker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT, '09 EB
I have an '09 4x4 v6 and the brake pedal travels a long way before any serious braking happens. I would say it is "spongy" My dealer says it is normal. I eventually get good braking and can get on the ABS if I push down a long way. It just takes an extra second before the braking starts so it is hard to get used to it. Is this really normal?

I also have an '07 v6 without 4x4 but with the adjustable brake pedals and its brakes are great. Does anyone know if the '07 and '09 have different brake systems, or is it the adjustable/non adjustable or the 4x4/non 4x4? Would appreciate any thoughts to know how much of an issue I should make with my dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 09 Sport Trac XLT V8 and have the same thing going on with the brakes, they almost go to the floor. I will be taking it to the dealer and see if they can do anything. Will let you know.

I have a 2006 explorer and it has a spongy break. Just means I push it down an little harder. I dont think it is a big deal.

I took my "09 EB 4x4 in for the second time for the spongy brakes that go almost to the floor. They replaced my master cylinder. It might be a fraction better, but still has an awful lot of pedal travel before any real stopping happens. So I went over to the showroom and asked to drive another 'O9. It was worse. The brake pedal actually went all the way to the floor several times. My '07 is nothing like this. It has great brakes. The service tech says they changed the brakes since '07. Sure does not seem like an improvement. This thing is particularly scary when towing anything, even my light aluminum fishing boat. I guess my next step is to try some higher performance brake pads. Any other suggestions?

Back