spongy brake

Lovexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone,

My explorer has broken again. After changing the ECU, finally, I got the check engine light off. The ABS, traction control, brake, and RSC lights and chimes were on. I took it to the mechanic and he changed the ABS module and the brake fluid. All the lights are off. Now the brake pedal needs to be press all the way and I need a lot of space because the truck does not stop. What could it be?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like there is air in the brake system. When the abs module is replaced it needs to be bleed using a pressure bleeder and a scan tool to activate the abs pump at all four wheels. did the spongy brakes start right after the repairs as in you picked up the car and the brakes where spongy or some time has gone since the repairs and now its spongy?

If the sponginess was there when you received the car I would be taking the car back to the mechanic that did the brake work it's his job to make sure the brakes are in working properly. They should also warranty the work unless it is found that it was not caused by the previous brake work. I should not have to say it but DON'T drive the car if the brakes not working properly.

LOL. an anchor might not be a bad idea. The brakes turned spongy when all the lights went off. The mechanic told me he changed the brake fluid so I assumed he bleed the system. How was it done? I don't know. I'll ask about it. Thanks

He probably didn't know that the brakes have to be bled with the software tool as mentioned to trigger the ABS pump. That's why your pedal is spongy, there's still air in the line(s). Not a slam on the wrench who did the work, he may simply have not known.

This one happens to the best of us

Watch out for terrible mechanics. My truck did not have front brakes. I swap the brake pads on the front and the brakes improved. Be aware of bad mechanics. I hope this helps the community. Cheers.

Hi everyone,

My explorer has broken again. After changing the ECU, finally, I got the check engine light off. The ABS, traction control, brake, and RSC lights and chimes were on. I took it to the mechanic and he changed the ABS module and the brake fluid. All the lights are off. Now the brake pedal needs to be press all the way and I need a lot of space because the truck does not stop. What could it be?

Thanks
I would check the brake hoses , the reason is within the year I had my front brake hoses burst with no warning at all only the pedal go to the floor and lost half my fluid with no brake light warning. I have just hit 182000 miles.

Back