1/2" PEX = Door Anti-Rattle Fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/2" PEX = Door Anti-Rattle Fix

OP here, put me down for one more: '97 XLT rear lift gate, no sanding, perfect fit.

Happy Thanksgiving, prayers and blessings to all.
Doc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OP here again, one more done. Rear hatch 1997 XLT. White PEX 1/2", no sizing, just a piece about 27mm long...it was cold that day, so a couple taps with a deep well socket to slide it on.
The original it just crumbled when I touched it.

My PEX striker bushing repairs (done back in March 2017) are still working great showing no or minimal wear.

I was looking around the forums and web for suggestions on this repair for my front drivers and passenger doors rattle.

Found this YouTube Video of someone doing the job w/PVC pipe...that he had to sand down a little to get to work.

Adding this here in case someone comes looking in the future... Those old door bushing are getting older and older by the day.

It would be nice if someone could take off a good one and let us know, with a micrometer the inner and outer dimensions of the original bushings.

The bushings are readily available aftermarket on Amazon and eBay. No need to make your own bushings when you can get a set for under $10.00.

The bushings are readily available aftermarket on Amazon and eBay. No need to make your own bushings when you can get a set for under $10.00.

Any links to make sure one gets the correct ones.

It seems there are different ones, depending if one is discussing the front driver and passenger doors, or the rear hatch.

I did find this Door Striker Bolt setup (with anti-rattle/bushing) but I'm not sure if it is the correct size for our generation of Explorers.

I was looking around the forums and web for suggestions on this repair for my front drivers and passenger doors rattle.

Found this YouTube Video of someone doing the job w/PVC pipe...that he had to sand down a little to get to work.

Adding this here in case someone comes looking in the future... Those old door bushing are getting older and older by the day.

It would be nice if someone could take off a good one and let us know, with a micrometer the inner and outer dimensions of the original bushings.

The material used in the video is Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC), rather than PVC. CPVC is often used to plumb hot water heaters. PEX hose has also been used as an alternate material for many of the door bushings.

Good luck with your bushings.

Back