• Register Today It's free!

1/4 tank....I think

MakkMar10

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I jus got a 2002 Explorer, Iv had it about a week. The other day my babe was on her way to do sum running around. An luckily she ran out of gas Rite down the street, thing is my gas gauge is only at 1/4 tank. I drove it to the beach last Saturday (purchased truck Fri), an figured I was getting good mpg's. Now Iv noticed the gas gauge dosent go below the 1/4 tank line but it will show full. Is this just a needle alignment thing? If so how do I fix it? Thanx....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume the low fuel warning light didn't go off as well. Seams that the float is sticking at the 1/4 mark. If the float were functioning correctly, then the warning light would have gone off when you reached the the last 2-3 gallons.

Edit: sounds like the seller forgot to tell you something.

I assume the low fuel warning light didn't go off as well. Seams that the float is sticking at the 1/4 mark. If the float were functioning correctly, then the warning light would have gone off when you reached the the last 2-3 gallons.

Edit: sounds like the seller forgot to tell you something.

Well I got it for a deal an beside replacing the power seat fuse the fuel gauge is the only thing not functioning. No tears in the leather, a/c blows icicles, even had the jack. Anyway it's ther any way to fix my fuel gauge? An no the low lite indicator doesn't come on....

I believe you'll have to change the fuel pump module, which will require dropping the tank. This is just my opinion, might have Ford diagnose it, or even see if their service department may give you some free advice.

You most likely need to replace the fuel sending unit which unfortunately is located in the fuel tank. I am not sure if there is an inspection plate you can remove in the cargo area or if you have to drop the fuel tank. Maybe you can search the forum or someone else will chime in.

Thanx....I guess I'll check into that wen I can. I'm not one to run out of gas but now I have more reason not to.

Thanx....I guess I'll check into that wen I can. I'm not one to run out of gas but now I have more reason not to.

There is a past forum post on "changing out the fuel sending unit" without dropping the gas tank from under the vehicle. It involves "carefully"cutting a 3 sided access port through the floor board in the rear passenger seat area after removing the rear seat itself. The post comes with photos of the job as well and instructions on what to do. I'm not saying this is the correct way to do this job, but one way of avoiding having to drop the fuel tank, which isn't easy. Here is the link for this type of repair: Look at post #1 by "High Order1".

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3309910

The other advice I would have for you to avoid dropping the gas tank is, if the gas gauge moves and works between the 1/4 and Full mark, then use the 1/4 mark as your E or empty mark now and just add gas when it reaches the 1/4 mark and you won't run out of gas again.

My gas gauge is working fine in the warm to hot weather we have been having lately.
When it was cold the gauge was slow, so I started using the trip milage odometer. When I get about 200 miles I fill up.It takes about 15 gallons then.

What do these hold? I think I get well over 300 miles out of a tank. Seems like it says somewhere between 340-360 something to go when I fill it up. Possibly try some seafoam, or some other fuel system cleaner in a tank or two of gas. that may possibly free some gunk up that may have it stuck. I would probably change the fuel filter though afterwords.

Back