#1 cylinder missfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

#1 cylinder missfire

kerstingm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 99 explore with a intermittent #1 missfire and I was wondering which
direction I need to look at. I've been told it could be a bad injector, wire, or
coil pack. The plugs and wire are new. It will run like crap for a few days then go away. I've use some injector cleaner, but not sure if that's helping or not.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many miles are one the engine?

how new is NEW? I have seen instances where new wires are damaged when being put on....or plugs go bad...

just asking...

if you want to try and change the coil pack and the wires alot of people seem to like the Screamin Demon coil pack and wires, even your stock ones are fine alot of people recommend them cause they make the engine run way better and ive heard they even improve gas milage, i plan on getting them pretty soon. i had the same problam with my engine misfiring on #1 and couldnt figure it out and it turned out it was a leaky head gasket that was leaking wtaer into the cylinder and drowning the fuel air mixture. The head gasket eventually blew.

I am sure he didnt wanna hear THAT!...:)

how about your fuel filter? My Expy was misfiring under load due to not getting enough gas. I am just suggesting easy things...

Boy you're not kidding that I didn't want to hear about the head gasket. Been there done that on a few other vehicals. Not fun.
Anyway to answer the above questions. I have 130k on the engine. The plugs and wires
were out in around Dec. #5 wire was toast from when my DPFE sensor melted.
The funny thing about this is now it's back to running fine again. What can have a intermitten problem? Wires, coil pack, or injector?

head gasket should be fine mine had 290k on it before it blew so i wouldnt worry bout that, an intermitenet problem was most likly elctrical probably in the ignition system, if you want try a search for screamin demon igintion coils from what i have heard they make the engine run like it is brand new and maybe even gives you a little better gass milage, good luck hope you find the problem

Back