• Register Today It's free!

Missfire code and constant mis

stang 1989

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls
I have a missfire code and constant mis on my 99 xls ohv 4.0 i have changed all of the normal suspects plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump, filter, and injectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the missfire code point out a specific cylinder? did the old plugs look good? consume oil? maybe a vacuum leak, or if you have a really bad valve seal your motor could be sucking oil in and drowning a plug. real bad senario is cracked head or bad head gasket.

The code if #4 cylinder the plugs looked fine no oil on them just wore out. I have a guy that is going to check it for a vacum leak. The funny thing is sometimes it doesnt do it.

could be vaccum, sometimes temp affects the size of the leak, going from insignificant to annoying.

Thats wht i was thinking it is very annoying.

I had the same problem and i went ahead and changed alot of things until i read a post about upper and lower intake gaskets which are common issues with the OHV motors. 5k miles later truck still runs fine.

I have had the upper intake off and changed the gaskets in it when i changed the injectors ill try the lower and see if that cures it.

I had the same problem. #4 not firing,very noticeable miss,new plugs and wires,and all injectors replaced. A hired a good mechanic to diagnose it and he ended up fixing it in the process. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. He had to do more than a spray cleaning. He used a cotton swab to get something like lint off. That's not normally done because of how fragile they are as I understand it.

I changed the gasket set and cleaned the mass air sensor now the egr is throwing a code gotta clean it now thanks for the help

Before you go taking the EGR system apart, you might want to post the code you have. There are multiple components to that systems.

Back