1 single brake pulse from 20-stop? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 single brake pulse from 20-stop?

Crazyatvspaz

Reaction score
City, State
Millerton,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
New to forum, came looking for suggestions as to a brake issue with no prevail.

I have a 04 explorer 4.0 4x4. I put new calipers, pads, and rotors on the rear. New pads, rotors and hardware on the front. I did NOT change the calipers or the brackets on the front. After installing and bleeding the crap out of both the front and rear brakes I get a single "kick" or "pop" sound/ feel threw the pedal every time I stop, from 20 to dead stop. the front calipers look good with no visible damage. I replaced all mentioned parts because my mechanic told me the rear caliper bolts were out of round and were loose. I looked up all TQ specs on every bolt that was tightened. All of the hub bolt threads looked good. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. :usa:

I get a similar thing, whenever I come to a stop from a slower speed by applying any pressure beyond very gradually slowing down. I haven't done any of my own work on my wheels and it feels just like ABS pulsing but just once... Figured it was just the ABS being finicky and kicking in but I'd be curious to see what anyone else says.

I had a similar symptom plus a steering pull. A single slow speed click or pop at the brake pedal. Cleaned the front ABS (RWD) sensors, replaced slider pins and all hardware, front hoses, and even opened up both calipers and replaced square piston seals
and dust boots. No fix. Ended up replacing both calipers with NAPA Total Eclipse semi loadeds with brackets. Problem solved.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...er-2004/_/N-26594 599001 102004 50028 2028014

im glad im not the only one with this problem. I should have bought 2 new calipers to begin with. Im still wondering if its a ABS problem tho.. anyone else?

Back