100k maintenance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

100k maintenance

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Took the explorer into my local dealer the other day for an oil change & they told me it’s overdue for it’s 100k KM maintenance (it’s just ticked over 116k) which includes:
-Spark plugs
-Coolant flush
-Transmission service

Was quoted around $900+ CAD so trying to see what out of that is reasonably simple enough to do (have some mechanical experience but nothing overly complicated) if it actually needs doing now or is that just what they’re system decided.

It’s a 2012 with the 3.5 non eco boost engine

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do it yourself, it’d be at most 150 - 200 bucks. A reasonable mechanic could do 500- 600 bucks I think. At least in the DC, MD, VA area.

Coolant is essentially dexcool for 2012. Should not be more than 10 to 20 bucks for what you need. If it’s pink/orange. 2011 is Motorcraft Specialty Green.

Transmission fluid is the most expensive. Make sure they are exchanging the fluid, not just draining, as some fluid gets stuck in the torque convert, etc. Transmission fluid will be the most of your cost, around 70 bucks. Not sure how much a transmission flush is. Probably 200?

Spark plugs are a pain because you have to take the intake manifold off, I could see that costing more than 100 in labor.

Edit: Just noticed you’re Canadian. I’m not sure of the prices. I’d go to multiple places for a quote.

Shane,

I did remove spark plugs when I got water in my engine recently... It was easy with the spark plug tool and ratchet extension. Manifold does have to be removed... easy.

I'm going to do my transmission soon as I have 30K on Explorer. There are videos on youtube... another easy one to do myself as is the coolant.

Just don't let any pets lick up any spilled coolant... they like the flavor but it is deadly.

Keith

Took the explorer into my local dealer the other day for an oil change & they told me it’s overdue for it’s 100k KM maintenance (it’s just ticked over 116k) which includes:
-Spark plugs
-Coolant flush
-Transmission service

Was quoted around $900+ CAD so trying to see what out of that is reasonably simple enough to do (have some mechanical experience but nothing overly complicated) if it actually needs doing now or is that just what they’re system decided.

It’s a 2012 with the 3.5 non eco boost engine

Thanks
See your Owner's Manual. Under 'normal' conditions;
Coolant Flush 160k
Spark Plugs 160k
Transmission Flush and Filter 240k

Peter

My XLT is coming up on 100k mileage. One independent shop said at that point plugs, fluid changes, inspect steering, etc.

I checked with the Ford dealership service department, their "computer" came up with pretty much the same.

It has never had the coolant flush, plugs, or tranny flush. Should I go with the owner's manual or go with the dealership "computer" when I bring it in? I've never had any trouble with it and it has been serviced regularly and uses synthetic oil. It is pretty much a suburban use vehicle with an occasional trip off the pavement but nothing too off road.

Thanks for any input.

One thing to not forget about maintaining is the PTU in AWD vehicles. They should be drained and refilled every 30k miles because they hold very little fluid and get baked by the engine and exhaust heat. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the brake fluid and drain/refill the rear differential for AWD drive trains at 100k miles. If you want to be real ambitious then replace the power steering fluid too. Also, transmissions should be drained and refilled every 60k miles. I don't recommend following Ford's transmission service intervals for most of their vehicles.

I would not recommend Fords service intervals for anything on the Explorer... They are usually WAY too "relaxed".

Heres what I recommend at 100k...
1) Timing chain AND water pump (very serious job - google this)
2) change all fluids including PTU (most shops wont do it)
3) new air and cabin filters (do this urself)
4) new spark plugs and clean coils (replace if worn)

For anyone with a EcoBoost also want to look at cleaning / blasting intake valves (they get caked). Look up "walnut blasting". Very popular technique for BMW/Audi with dirty DI engines and works on Ecoboosts too

^^Another advantage of leasing. ;)

Peter

^^Another advantage of leasing. ;)

Peter
True about the leasing but I bolt on too many doodads and drill too many holes in my vehicles. I just had a 3/4 inch hole cut in the roof for a GMRS / HAM radio antenna and drilled holes in the dash for the radio, etc.

I like not having payments so leasing won't work for me. It pays to know how to do it yourself, especially on these 5th gens where most of the repair bills labor charges.

I'm about to do my 100k service. Front brakes (already did the rear), struts, drain and fill trans (normally 4.5-5 quarts), front axle seal that is leaking (wet but not leaving drops yet), and spark plugs. I checked the PTU last oil change and it was clear and looked good still. Throttle body and MAF was replaced recently (MAF failed but I tossed in a TB since a new one was only $50 and my VIN was close to the recalled ones). Does anyone have carbon buildup issues on the valves on these? I am wondering if I will need to do that also....

Back