Lease Maintenance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lease Maintenance?

Ecobeast88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
My 2015 Sport is at 4K miles now and I was just wondering when I would have to have it serviced? It's at 58% on the oil monitor. Seams like it will be over 8k miles when its first oil change. Does that sound right? The dealer never said anything to me about the maintenance for a lease? Hope someone can help me out? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2015 Sport is at 4K miles now and I was just wondering when I would have to have it serviced? It's at 58% on the oil monitor. Seams like it will be over 8k miles when its first oil change. Does that sound right? The dealer never said anything to me about the maintenance for a lease? Hope someone can help me out? Thanks!

Should be around 7-10K or 1 year which ever comes first...

That's for its first oil change? Thought cars had break in oil from the factory?

I go about 10k on my oil changes unless I get coupons from my dealer. Last 3 Oil changes were done around 6-6-7k because I got $7.95 Oil changes.

As stated, no break in oil. Just drive it and change it when it tells you to.

I bet the owners manual has service interval information... just saying.

The maintenance for a leased vehicle is the same as for one you buy. I've leased my last 6 vehicles. If it's oil changes you are concerned about, everyone has their own opinion on that as well as to what kind of oil to use. That is why there is a 20 page thread on it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309598&highlight=oil+change

Peter

Everyone is comfortable with something different. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and switched to Motorcraft full synthetic; every 8000 miles after that.

Every 5,000 and forget it. I'd never drive a car 10,000 without an oil change!

Every 5,000 and forget it. I'd never drive a car 10,000 without an oil change!

It's a lease. Change it when the OLM says to, and not before. That satisfies the maintenance requirements. Why would anyone waste money?

It's a lease. Change it when the OLM says to, and not before. That satisfies the maintenance requirements. Why would anyone waste money?

My car is a 3 year lease. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I may want to purchase at lease end and don't want a trashed motor!

don't want a trashed motor!

Funny stuff. Ignorant, but funny. Oil analysis at 10K on a synthetic oil with a Motorcraft filter shows otherwise. The number of people who buy out leases is incredibly small. If the OP doesn't plan on it, save the money on completely unnecessary intervals.

My car is a 3 year lease. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I may want to purchase at lease end and don't want a trashed motor!
Mine is also a 3 year lease and I have the service done every 6 months (2000 mi). The OLM at that point is usually down to around 40%. I don't treat a leased vehicle any differently than one I owned.
I don't think you'd end up with a "trashed motor" but I also don't have any issue with your intervals.

Peter

That's all I wanted to know I didnt know when the "requirements" were. Im not changing it early if I DONT have to. I'm not keeping it at the end of my lease. I just thought 8-10k miles for its first oil change was long that's all.

That's for its first oil change? Thought cars had break in oil from the factory?

not in the last 20 or so years. it's run on a test stand before even being mounted to the car - often it's run again in the car before leaving the factory.

drained and refilled prior to putting on the truck for deliver. (different makers have different methods)

Hope you can negotiate a good final price if you do decide to purchase out your lease. some can, others can't so good luck there.

Meanwhile - OLM is rather accurate on prediction and usage so it's rather safe when it comes to worn out oil - especially if you stick to the OE grade oil or better.

Also on your " I'll never go for 10K oil changes comment" before you get to wrapped around that - your next car might be a hybrid or your next car might have more oil in it than 5 quarts.

My G8 has 9 in it. I have no issues going to it's 10+ K OLM light. now I do change the filter about part way in that mileage since currently for how I drive I go about a year between oil changes also. but that's a whole other rant for another day.

That's all I wanted to know I didnt know when the "requirements" were. Im not changing it early if I DONT have to. I'm not keeping it at the end of my lease. I just thought 8-10k miles for its first oil change was long that's all.

The manual is pretty clear that going to OLM light is sufficient.

Also I assume it's a 4 year and under 60K miles lease, so you probably won't touch any of the other fluids in that time frame. or rather you shouldn't.

The manual is pretty clear that going to OLM light is sufficient.

Also I assume it's a 4 year and under 60K miles lease, so you probably won't touch any of the other fluids in that time frame. or rather you shouldn't.

Gotcha, This is my first new vehicle so I wasn't sure what all needed to be done. So it's a 3yr/36k lease, and what I'm getting from this is I only need to pay roughly 3 oil changes going off the OLM? That's it? No other schelduled maint. I should have to pay for? I can't see tires and brakes going out in 3yr/36k miles. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha, This is my first new vehicle so I wasn't sure what all needed to be done. So it's a 3yr/36k lease, and what I'm getting from this is I only need to pay roughly 3 oil changes going off the OLM? That's it? No other schelduled maint. I should have to pay for? I can't see tires and brakes going out in 3yr/36k miles. Thanks!

You'll more than likely have to replace tires at least before turning the vehicle back in. There is a minimum tread depth that is accepted and in 36,000, if you drive that far, you will be beyond that.

Back