• Register Today It's free!

105K Mile Tune-up

#1Aggie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I am new to this baord but have a few questions.

I have a '93 XLT and just rolled 105K. After reading several threads, I realize that I am far behind on my maintenance. My '93 has ran great with very little maiantenace. My last tune-up plugs etc was at least 60K ago. However, I do keep all of my fluids changed regularly. I use 10W-30 M1 oil (since new) with AC Ultragurd Oil Filters. I just changed my tranny fluid out and have done it religiously every year.

However, I am starting to experience a few problems. When the car is hot and in city driving, when I accelerate it tries to stall. Heck, it stalled while idling at stoplight.

What kind of maintemance is recommended.

1. Plugs
2. Wires
3. Ox sensors
4. ???

Thanks and sorry for the wide open question, but I realize that it is time do some things to keep it rolling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 91 with 160,000 and I have not changed the O2 sensors yet. Its up to if you want to change them, but I wouldn't until the check engine light comes on or something else is wrong.

I havn't had this problem myself, but some guys on here blame the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve for stalling.

Do a search on that it may help you. Whens the last time you changed your diff. fluid? That could'nt hurt either.

Brian

You should probably do these things:

1.Plugs and wires
2.PCV valve
3.Fuel filter
4.Air filter
5.Change all fluids (pending on ones that were recently done)
6. New fan belt
7.Clean IAS(if it is dirty. You can tell because of a humming sound as you accelerate)
8. Run some fuel injector cleaner and carbon deposit cleaner through you gas

:cool: I think that's everything?

Originally posted by Slick Rick
You should probably do these things:

1.Plugs and wires
2.PCV valve
3.Fuel filter
4.Air filter
5.Change all fluids (pending on ones that were recently done)
6. New fan belt
7.Clean IAS(if it is dirty. You can tell because of a humming sound as you accelerate)
8. Run some fuel injector cleaner and carbon deposit cleaner through you gas

:cool: I think that's everything?

Thanks Slick. Sorry if I am ignorant, but what is IAS?
Is it the Incoming Mass Air Sensor?

Well, MAS (mass air sensor), IAC (idle air control valve). Cleaning those is always a good idea. Lots of talk about it on here, try using the search feature :)

Sorry I should have wrote IAC, not IAS, my bad.

I also don't think you should change your O2 sensors unless they are bad. When they are your CEL will come on (CEL= Check engine light) They are probably working fine if that light is not on. Besides, they are not cheap to replace.:hammer:

slick rick - "there lived a little boy who was misled, by another little boy and this is what he said"-

im about to do a major tune up as well but you already got all the stuff on my list! good luck and let us know how everything goes!

:confused: huh?

sorry, its from a slick rick song... thought you might recognise it

:D Really? So what's the name of the song, and is Slick Rick the name of the Artist?:chug:

hahaha wow i overestimated your name. slick rick is an old school rapper... the song is called bed time story. download it, its a cool song.

slick rick - bedtime story

hoses? belts?

:redexp: also think about hoses and belts, they dont seem like much but when your out on the trail and your lifeline belt separates wraps around your fan and explodes the fan throwing plastic pieces into your engine you say "damn i shoulda taken care of those little things". yes this did hapen to me :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yesterday, I went to O'Rielly's and picked up

1. Motorcraft Double Plats
2. New Motorcraft wires for #29.99
3. New Motorcraft fuel filter
4. Pennzoil Dex III/Mercon for trans fluis change
5. Motorcraft air filter

Today, I will go my Walgreens to pick some denatured alcohol for the MAF.

I have one question on replacing the fuel filter. I have hit both Chilton's online and Alldata.com and both show a different type of connection than I have. Both show a spring connection that requires a special tool to come from the side.

Mine has metal hose connections similiar to the main fuel rail, but just a lot smaller. The tubes coming off of the filter seem to be about 2-2.5" long.

I have a '93.

I bought a 3/8" tool to spring open the connection. Anybody encountered type? How do you pop off the hoses without damaging everything?

I am taking off Friday to do things that I should have done a long time ago.

Thanks again for the good suggestions.

Next month belts and coolant flush.

Originally posted by coolchriscush
hahaha wow i overestimated your name. slick rick is an old school rapper... the song is called bed time story. download it, its a cool song.

slick rick - bedtime story

:cool: OOOHHhhh SH*T!!!! Oh Yeah! Slick Rick! I haven't heard that song in ages! Since I haven't heard that song in so long, I didn't recognize it at first, but yeah I know who Slick Rick is... It's a pretty sweet name too so that's another reason why I am using it. I thought perhaps there was another artist with the same name that I didn't know about.... Have you heard of: The Art Of Story Telling LP? It's pretty good too!:chug:

Are you sure?:thumbsup:

:cool: ......sweeet

:cool: ......sweeet, I didn't think so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back