12V power source around the cig lighter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12V power source around the cig lighter?

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Hey everybody,

I need to know of any 12V power sources around the cigerette lighter power source. I wired up the switch power of my new driving lights to the cig lighter hot wire not realizing that that receives power at all times.

PLEASE HELP QUICK!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a relay then just tap the light circuit for the cig lighter or the light feed to the radio. If no relay fit one

I don't follow? I'm talking about the second cig lighter on the side of the counsel. The wiring harness is a PIAA one.

Sorry but there is nothing easy to identify there. Thats the trouble with interpretation over here that socket is an aux power feed so no light switched source nearby. Can you drop another cable from the centre cig lighter light? or radio light.

I don't need light switched power, I just need a regular old 12V power supply.

In that case drop a lead from the permanent power for the radio (the one that keeps the memory alive). I'm confused though because in the first post you say that the feed you got is live all the time and then you say that that is what you want:confused:

Derek, you need a ign 12V to run the relay feed? Another way, 12V to trigger a relay?
If you just need the juice for a relay, why not just get it from the radio? Or just come off the fuse box?

Robb

I just need a 12V source for my switch power wire. How do I get power from the fuse box?

I just need a 12V power source that is shut off when the truck is shut off.

Ok
The radio aux feed is switched off by the ignition but live when truck running.
Or (as in this country the front fogs can only be used when the rear fogs are) drop a feed from the fog lamp switch (fed side not switched side) then the fogs will work under the same conditions as the rear fogs. Ok.

Where is the aux. radio wire located?

On the UK Fords it always was a plain yellow wire in the radio connector. According to Haynes should be Yellow/Black at the radio. Hope this helps.

That would involve pulling the radio though. I really don't want to do that. How do I draw power from the fuse panel? What about the Distro box?

Derek,
I can only assume you have an aftermarket HU ( I have seen your sub box), it will have a blue 12V out wire on it, you can use that.
About the fuse box......there should be a couple of unused fuse spots in there. You can use a test light or volt meter (or tongue, jk) to find one that is ignition power only (on when key is on). From there, there is a correct way and an incorrect way to tap into it. The correct way.......electronics or audio stores sell special plugs that plug into blade fuse plugs for exactly the reason you want to use it. The incorrect way.....put a male spade plug end on the wire and shove it where you got the 12V.

Robb

Well I pulled out my radio, and the power wire was actually red. The lights work great now, thanks guys. Except now my HU won't sit right in the dash, but hey those things are fussy. OH WELL!

Derek,
the red wire is the 12V going to the stereo, the blue wire is a 12V coming from the stereo. But if it works and doesn't affect the performance of your HU, it is all good.

Robb

Back