15" Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15" Wheels

I have 16"x7" stock rims on my '01 Sport, but I want to replace them with some 15"x8"-ers. I contacted the Mickey Thompson webmaster and he responded with: " Your 2001 Explorer Sport is equipped with 16" diameter wheels. The main reason why it came with 16" wheels is because of the large brake calipers. If you drop down to a 15" diameter wheel, the brake caliper will probably incur rubbing or inference problems with the drop center (bottom side of the rim) or with the back side of the wheel center..."
What can I do to equip these 15"x8" wheels without coming across these problems? I would appreciate your suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you get 16x8's? That is what I am doing.

I guess I want 15" wheels b/c the 31" bfg ats are way cheeper than 265/75/16 tires. But then again if I get 15" wheels, I would also have to replace my rotors/calipers--And I don't even know how much that'll cost me! I'm on a budget for the time being...:banghead:

Understandable.;)

new brake system

How much would a new brake system to accomodate the 15" wheels cost me anyways?

Are you sure that 15" rims would not fit? I think they would without any problems. 15x8 should fit without any fitment problems with your brakes.

I could be wrong but all the rotors and calipers should be the same size regardles of wheel size. My 97 Mountaineer has four wheel disc and came factory with 15" wheels. The 16" wheels are just an option up-grade.

Back