• Register Today It's free!

1500 RPM Vibrations

Hawkit

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I recently purchased (over the weekend) my first exp. Its a 1995 2DR, 4x4, Explorer Expedition, 175k miles. It idles a little rough, and when accelerating through 1500 rpms it shakes like a bad hotel room bed. Let off the gas, its back to smooth sailing, bring it up above 1500 rpms and same thing the vibrations go away.

I've been stalking the boards since I brought her home, I'm not super mechanical but I know the difference between a water pump and an alternator. I am wondering if it could be a clogged or failing injector, sensor or something worse.

The RPM's don't bounce at idle like with a missing plug. So I am a little stumped.

Any idea's?

Hawkit

Edit: Also, its not throwing any check engine lights/ codes.

Update: Took it on a longer drive this morning to get a better feel for the problem, gonna pull plugs this weekend and look them over. I am also getting a light coolant smell (exterior only) that I need to look into, Around 1500 rpms it bucks a little when I accelerate through, so I am wondering if I may have a bad injector. Its still idling rough, but as of yet not acting like it wants to die.

When I first got it home last weekend I did have to add coolant, so I am sure I have a leak somewhere.

Looks like I am going to need to take it in for a vacuum pressure test. Any idea on where to take it or cost?

Back