15x8...15x10, does it really matter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15x8...15x10, does it really matter?

ok... would it really matter all that much if i got 33x12.50's and put them of 15x10's...........would 15x8's work better, all the magazines sell 33x12.50's on 15x10 rims as a package,but if i went out and bought each item individually (rim, tire) it would almost cost me 200 dollars more. it really perplexes (spelling) me that it would cost more, just need to know what to do:(

Yes it matters. With the 10" rims it's how much do you want to cut the fenders???
They will both work and most people go with the 8" so you don't have to cut the fenders. I have found all wheels and Explorer's are different. If you know someone that already has big tires on there Explorer, take one off and try it on yours and see what happens.

i am puttin in the spacers and shackles this weekend, and am considering switching from my factory deerprints to an inexpensive 15x8 steel rim any suggestions on where and what to buy? i have BFG AT's 31/10.5-15

I got mine through Desert Rat. I was going to get some inexpensive rims, but their Mickey Thompson Classic II's were only $85.00 a piece. They are polished aluminum, and look just like chrome.
Click on my homepage and you can see them.

8" vs 10" ???

The rim should be based on the tire tread width, not the 12.5 but the actual tread width. The easy way is to take what the manufacturer says not the supplier.
The narrower the rim the narrower the actual contact of the tread. If you air down some say it is better to have a wider rim because the tire tries to spread itself out.

The 8" rim will also give you a little more rim protection.

Watch the backspacing, it should be the same on both rims. If you have the same backspacing then the tire will stick out more with the 10" rim and in turn cause more interference with body parts, as Perry stated.

As usual the best thing to do is look at another vehicle with the same size tires you plan to run.
If possible the vehicle should be doing the same type of trail riding, and see how the tire look, if it is what you want then you have your answer.

Most selections on any vehicle are personal preference.

I use to run an 8" rim on 10.50s w/9.25" tread width.
My new tire, coming soon, will have a tread width of 12.50" and I plan on running a 10" rim. (17x13.5x16 overall tire size)

Good Luck on the selection, make it the way you want it...

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Back