18 inch tire questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18 inch tire questions

I am looking into getting some 18X9 wheels for my 2000 eddie bauer. I do not have it lowered and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on tire sizes that will not cause me any problems. I know most people use the 255/55/18, but those seem to only look good on lowered explorers. I dont want to have a large gap between the top of the tire and wheelwell. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could run a bigger tire size, but the 255/55 is really the right way to go. that is as close to the stock height as you can get. it will appear to fill the wheel well much more than the factory tires and it will keep the speedometer, and gearing the same as stock. the best way to fix your problem is to lower the truck like an inch. not so much that it appears really lowered and or rides poorly, but just enough to remove that gap.

a 255/55r18 is actually wider and .2'' taller than stock

fststang I have the 255-55-18's and they look good. Yea I could lower it an inch but its not that much of a gap. The only thing is you will have to tie of your rear e-brake line by the rear tire. I just happen to be selling my 18x9's if your interested let me know

I might be interested in your wheels. Do you have any pictures of them on the truck?

you had to tie them to fit 255/55? i thought i was the only one who had to do that and i'm runnning 285/50s in the rear ya know?

my old 275/55/17s didn't rub on it...

The tire was rubbing on the e-brake cable an the metal from the cable started to show through. Luckily i caught it before it did any damage to the cable or my tire.

Back