1989 Aerostar. Starting issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1989 Aerostar. Starting issues.

Taji

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a problem to solve before the Missus decides to be rid of a husband. :)

I have a 1989 Aerostar I purchases used. Until today it was running great. Now it won't start. Turn the switch and it goes "Ka-Thawnk" on the driver's side of the van.

The good lady fired it up today and she commented for the first minute or so of it running that it sounded like it was going "GrrrrrrOOwwwwww" or struggling, but after that it was fine. All was well until she came in from work. I needed to borrow the van.

"Whhorrrow Whrrorrrowww Whrrrrrrorrrrrr". It sounded like the engine was turning and trying to kick, but it wouldn't fully kick in. I tried it again, then again, same noise until finally "Whir-whir-whir" and it started.

This left me dubious, so I cut it off and tried cranking it again. Fired right up, no problems, and ran fine. I drove the van off on an errand, turned it off at a store, cranked it back up and it ran just fine.

Problem was when I returned home, cut it off for about ten minutes, then went out again to try to crank it up....

"Ka-Thawnk" One clicking sound. Sometimes it barely clicks, sometimes it doesn't click it all. When it clicks most of the time it's a hard click. Already tried jumpering the van off from my car. No go. I've tried letting it sit, doesn't work. It always clicks on the left hand side near the battery.

She's freaking out because the computer lights up the oil gauge icon when it tries to start, but I verified twice it is completely full of oil and has never had a history of leaking while we have owned it. I keep telling her that it's also showing the door icon and is likely just a glitch due to us attempting to crank it. I'm mentioning it for completeness sake and again, so she won't decide to be rid of a husband.

What could it likely be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like the starter is no good.

That's what I'm thinking. She's scared to death that it's the oil, I keep telling her it's probably the solenoid or starter. I might try to replace both tomorrow morning. Hope and pray LOL.

Hey, if I can post an MP3 of the sound would that help?

I'm still married LOL. I went in and pulled the starter. Autozone said it was bad. Slapped in a new solenoid and starter and that seemed to fix it. Drove it awhile to make sure that the computer would relearn.

Was concerned, though, because it went "whirrrrr whirrrrrrr" like it wasn't going to turn over the first few times I tried starting it. Now it fires up pretty much instantly. Should I be looking for a problem somewhere, or is it the new starter breaking in?

I've used the van heavily today. The starter sounds perfectly normal now with no lag or whirring whatsoever. It hasn't repeated the slow "whirrrrr" since those first few starts again, so here's hoping it's nothing major. If it's the flexplate I'll take it to a mechanic should it act up further.

Back