1994 Aerostar. Starting & running issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Aerostar. Starting & running issues.

Rodriques

Reaction score
City, State
Home of The Alamo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Aerostar
Ok I am very new to this but I am lost... I have an 94 3.0L Aerostar Van automatic at about 94,000 miles and its been giving me hell! Let me start when it all began I had it parked for about 1-2 yrs. but I would turn it on occasionally....so when my Acura integra was on its last leg I figured I would fix my van to be prepared to use it again. I noticed when I tried to started it at one time it bogged and never kicked over... So I had the fuel pump and fuel filter changed out... along with distributor cap/ rotor / wires / and plugs. I had done treatments to the van gave it super unleaded it did good for a month then the hell began.And now it catches faster because the treatment knocked loose alot of crap in tank and clogged my sock and filter . I replaced the fuel filter and strainer because i figured it was a fuel issue when it did not want to catch when i first go to crank it but now it does catch but still not fixed! I noticed that when I researched on this site some one mentioned mass flow/ Throttle Positioning Sensor/ Cleaning the IAC/ PCV valve which i did all and that is when I noticed I had a vacuum leak but still didn't fix it.... Also when I got it to stay on I would drive for like 20 min in Texas hot weather.... it will start to heistate to accelerate especially on hills or inclines of any sort. When i would push on the gas it would act as if it was a transmission issue... So then that I researched again...if My gears don't kick out I was told it's not that my trans is bad... It could be the filter since i never changed it. So I had the trans filter changed. And again it didn't fix my problem. I went back to auto zone and some guy mentioned the transmission modulator... So I did that... F*!k again not a fixed issue... So now if I sit in my car with it in park and rev it... It tries to stall out... If I drive it and try to give it a little more gas to go it gets sluggish... I let off the gas pedal then it's ok...try to punch it... It wants to croak! Before changing the trans modulator if I drove my car it would drive fine for a awhile then it would get boggy and the check engine light would come on well quick then off...that's when I would pull over turn it off wait bout 5 mins then drive again then it would be ok for a bit until I accelerated above 20mph then it would hesitate and pull.... That is why I changed the modulator. Now since the mod changed I turn it on for the first time of the day and it Boggs out as I try to take off!!!! CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!

My '94 XL+ did very similar to what your van is doing and it ended up being a bad MAF sensor. Not to say that will DEFINANTLY be your issue, but it was for mine.

Back