• Register Today It's free!

1989 Aerostar electrical issues.

Billie johnson

Reaction score
City, State
port orchard wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 ford aerostar, base
Help.. Please. My 1989 aerostar clicks, only starts with screwdriver across posts on starter Relay on the Dr. Side fender. Started Nov 6th, with my battery constantly needing jumped, I've spent myself broke feeding it new parts. Battery, alternator, solenoid cables.. Found 1 busted durable link, wrapped that which shut off the battery an check engine kites in dash.
WHAT don't do to fix this? Only thing left is starter and ignition switch. Ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Did you test the starter relay on the fender wall with a meter or a test light? It sounds like the contacts are no good if you have to jump it with a screwdriver. Did you see if there's power coming from the ignition switch onto the starter relay?

Hi, I am driving a 1989 Ford Aerostar XL
And want to keep it running for as long as possible.

There seem to be some oddities with the dimmer to the left and below the steering wheel— the rotating thing that dims and brightens cabin lights and dash lights. There seems to be a short or something in relation to the check engine light.

Also the turn signal blinking light makes the check engine light blink and turn off.
I just don’t know if I should even take the check engine light seriously when it comes on momentarily and this happens occasionally when I’m driving down hill only.

Yes, my mechanic is going to take a look and do a tuneup.

The Aerostar is so old and still solid with all original parts except new starter.

Is it an automatic? If so have you tried starting it in Neutral?

Welcome to this forum! Check to see if you have the same issues after you tilt the steering wheel. There might be a damaged wire shorting against a metal ground intermittently.
Thank you. Don’t know if the steering wheel tilts or not but at least that’s a place to begin looking.
Good idea.
I appreciate your reply to my issue.

On my 91 aerostar, there is a huge connector under the steering column next to the ignition. Mine, the tabs got weak and things like turn signals, headlights would intermittently not work. I ziptied it to solve the problem

Good to know!
Thanks for sharing that description.

It’s nice when issues can so easily be fixed— kind of amazing too.

I guess I am going to have to do some poking around

Start with basic tools such as test lights & multimeters to track down electrical issues.
Thanks!
My mechanic is doing a full tuneup today including new belt and then I will see how it runs. Plus he may have time to test some electrical too.

It’s kind of fun having such an old van! Am I the only one enjoying this—- no, of course not!

This reminds me of a kid's reaction a couple of weeks ago. Some young kid maybe 5 years old saw me going into my van, and was spellbound. He just kept staring then asked me how old my van is. I said 28 years old. He said: 28 years old WOW! He was watching me put things in then his brother came by, and asked him what he was looking at. He said: look at that old van. It's 28 years old. His brother asked him if he's sure, and how he knows how old it is. He said that the man putting things in just told me. Both kids came by to watch me put things in. They were amazed to see an old vehicle since everybody in my neighbor drives late model leased vehicles except for a few people.

This reminds me of a kid's reaction a couple of weeks ago. Some young kid maybe 5 years old saw me going into my van, and was spellbound. He just kept staring then asked me how old my van is. I said 28 years old. He said: 28 years old WOW! He was watching me put things in then his brother came by, and asked him what he was looking at. He said: look at that old van. It's 28 years old. His brother asked him if he's sure, and how he knows how old it is. He said that the man putting things in just told me. Both kids came by to watch me put things in. They were amazed to see an old vehicle since everybody in my neighbor drives late model leased vehicles except for a few people.
When you are 5 years old, 28 years ago is older than trees and dirt. When you pass 40, 28 years ago was yesterday.

It does remind me when I was 17 and I just bought my 68 cougar. My dad noticed I was looking under the front with amazement. I said, wow dad it has coil front suspension. He said of course it does, it wasn't built in 1930. what were you expecting, a mono leaf?

Back