1991 Exploder Hesitates/Misses/Shakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Exploder Hesitates/Misses/Shakes

chongo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Exploder
1991 4x4 6cylinder.

My ride hesitates/misses at idle. If I put my foot on the brake and run the RPMs up to about 1500 it seems to clear up. Then it seems to have lost some of the accelation. Then when I run it up to aout 55 and back off on the gas it will start to "shake" from the rear. This does not seem to be due to tires, shocks, etc. Rather it seems like it wants to run smooth but just cannot seem to do it. I can also recreate this at lower speeds but it is not as noticable. Basically it seems like once it shifts if you drop the speed just a bit it will do it (the shaking).

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plugs and wires..check them.

I replaced all the wires, and replaced 4 of the 6 plugs (I think everyone here know what 2 were skipped). The 4 I replaced look perfect, so I thought I would ask here before I replace the other 2.

did it do this before you changed four of them?

Yes it did. The plug wires did seem to help some, but did not eliminate the problem.

Rough idling is also often caused by vaccuum leaks. Check the tree and all the vaccuum lines.

Mine started doing something similar during an off-road outing last weekend. I'm still trying to diagnose the problem.

It almost acted like the cats were plugging. Any time it sat at idle for more than 30 seconds, it would start missing, running really rough, and dropping in RPMs. Sticking the pedal to the floor did nothing to help, it only got worse.

I'd shut it off, and restart, after a second or two, it would clean out and run for a bit until it returned to idle - then the same deal.

I must have started that thing up 200 times to get off the trails at Livingston... Made it tough to get up some of the obstacles. Minute you left off the throttle, it died.

Rock racing anyone? :D

Weird thing is, it seems to run OK on the street. I ran it across town yesterday, expecting the worst, and it seemed fine -- a bit rough on idle, but otherwise OK.

No vacuum leaks -- checked that. Could be plugs and wires, but it seems fine, starts quick, etc.

Could be a fuel filter/pump issue, but why does it run great now?

Only after half a day of idling up rock it started and would not let up.

Anyone?

This is just an extreme guess, so forgive me in advance if I sound like an idiot...

Since it's only happening on the rocks (I assume that means the truck is running at odd angles of attack), I'd be looking at fuel supply. Could the pump be getting starved somehow, air in the system causing a lockup, etc.?

Mike

When I bought my 93 X about 6 weeks ago it had a hesitation and idled rough. I figured it was plugs and wires so I bought it anyway and changed them the first weekend I had it. I found that the rear passenger side plug (the tough one) had broken and the electrode in the center was missing. The rest of the plugs looked good until I got to that one. I don't know where the electrode went, but I'm hoping it's long disintegrated in the engine. My X purrs like a kitten now. That plug is actually easy to get out if you take the front tire off and go through the wheel well.

Roger

I have found it easiest to just turn the front wheels to the left before I do a tune up. That way I can sit on my creeper seat and get that plug out without much fuss at all

What if the last guy, and maybe the guy before him were lazy and didn't do the "hard plug" either....then you have a really worn out plug. Get to it and replace it. From the bottom or jack it up and take the tire off. Jack by the frame so the suspension droops and gives you more clearance. The hole you can reach through has sharp edges but you won't hurt yourself on it if you get some old hose, split it down the middle, and stick it on the edges.

<rant> BTW, if you think that plug is hard, try doing plugs &wires on an Aerostar. Every plug is a "hard plug" Same engine, jammed forcibly into a van. The coilpack is in the same place..but you are reaching for it laying across the driver's seat, with your head where the pass. feet go, and there is 1in of clearance above the pack. And then the plugs are through the wheel wells and from underneath. Its not fun. </rant>

-Ted

Hey Ted,

Before I did my tranny modulator, I read the posts about removing the seats and console and thought to myself: "That's completely insane! Why would anyone want to do all that extra work?" Then, I got back under the truck and realized that my hands and arms are way too big to get at it from underneath, so I sucked it up and removed the seat, etc.

Having done that, it was remarkably easy to get the seat, etc. out. If I had a van, I would do the same if I had to pull the engine cover. Actually, come to think of it, I have an RV (basically a van front), and would do the same for that. The extra room you get with the seats out is amazing, and the angles that become open are much better.

Mike

Funny you should mention that... that was the first thing I thought of...but when we tried it the seat bolt started to twist off :eek: instead of coming out. I woulda said to the heck with it and snapped off every seat bolt if i had to, but we did not have time to fix it afterwards and the auto teacher would have killed us. He's only got two rules. a) Get it out by 3:00 and b) don't break anything, and breaking the seat bolts was in violation of rule b lol.

I have no idea how those bolts were rusted in, I'd have thought that they would have been out a bunch of times for the same kind of stuff. Unless the plugs were original :rolleyes: It did idle on 4 cylnders before we worked on it.... (ran great after)

-Ted

I absolutely agree, broken bolts SSSSUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your teacher only has two rules? You guys aren't trying hard enough... :eek:

Mike

My truck does the same thing...Replaced plugs wires..cleaned all sensors. changed oil...I dont know what to do next.

Could my fuel filter really cause a rough idle like this? If so then I owe my brother 100 dollars

I was having similar symptoms, turned out to be a bad fuel injector.

Back