1991 liftgate handle replacement

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I have been working on my son's 91 Sport getting the liftgate handle replaced. The actuator doesn't hit the pieces that open it. Does it need anything else. We just replaced the handle. any adjustment needed?

Thanks,
Tim

From what I recall there is no adjustment. Make sure the door metal structure itself is straight, inside and out. Mine had been hit from behind and as soon as I pushed it back in place, the handle functioned properly. Had to take off the inside panel to get mine to open, first. Good luck.

Kirk

This happened to me and getting a new handle won't help. The problem as Kirk mentioned above, that the metal bracket that holds structure together, had warped over time so the handle actuator didn't reach the linkage that activated the latch or the lock. I needed to get in there with a crowbar and bend it back. Requires removing the trim on the inside of the door and be careful with that -- after 25 years the plastic is brittle and can snap off, especially at the top corners where it's thinnest ( don't ask me how I know). If it does crack through, you can fix it with a little fiberglass cloth and epoxy, it's on the inside so it doesn't matter how ugly it is. Good luck!

Back