• Register Today It's free!

1991 Vibration and clunk noise

daves1991

Reaction score
City, State
redwood city, calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 2 door 4WD
Hello: I am new here. I have a 1991 2 door 4WD explorer, bought from the original owner with about 170K miles (bought from sisters husband). He was really good on maintance, fluid changes etc...

I have had the truck for about three years.

It has always made a bit of a clunk when shifted into gear from park while stopped.

Recently I got a new probelm that started suddenly (hence I doubt it is a tire wear issue)

I notice a vibration when accelerating. it is most noticable at frreeway speed. the vibration goes away when I let up on the gas, and it gets very bad when on the gas. It got real bad in last 100 miles (or less) I went to pick up someone fromt eh airport last night, and had to turn back, I would only drive under 55 mph on the freeway becuase attempt to keep up speed resulting in lots of vibration. it still vibrated at 55 but not as bad, plus I did not need as much gas to keep up the lower speed.
this symptom of vibration was notice in both OD and D gears while on the freeway it dont seem to be engine rpm related.
I noticed no tranny slip (no rev increase seen on tach)
while limping back from airport, I notice some vibration even at 30 mph when on the gas.

what could this be? I am new to big automatic vehicles, my prior mechanical experiance has been in really old rear enigned VWs. so auto trannies and drive shafts are new areas to me.

I did look under the truck, no fluid leaks, and the ATF level was fine when checked about 100 miles ago. the rear drvie shaft seems tight (no slop) there is some backlash in the sliding couling on the rear drvie shaft, but it is very little (how much is normal?)

any suggestions?

thank you

PS would U-joint or motor mount issues cause this??? the U-joint appear ok, no movment even with a screw driver prying, the motor mounts are hard to tell the tranny mount appear to be somewhat collapsed.

When was the last time you had an alignment or the wheel bearings replaced?

It could be that the bearings have gone bad...

Back