1991 XLT D44/Ford 9 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 XLT D44/Ford 9 swap

So I'm starting a progress thread on my swap. To start out with I got a dana 30 from a jeep i sold for 100.
axlecomplete_0001.jpg

Then a buddy thats building a prerunner decided to trade me for a dana 44 out of a 1979 ford f100.
0829080641-1.jpg

0829080642b.jpg

Then i bought a Ford 9" from the same buddy. After talking to burns and some of the other guys on here i decided to do radius arms and coils. yay for that decision!!!

0907081334a.jpg

0907081334b.jpg

0907081335.jpg

so now i'm gonna go buy lift coils for an early bronco. blue of course...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also, i just bought a sweet digital camera so i will be taking a LOT better pictures!!!

THink I'm gonna have to follow this thread... If I decide to toss the ol' 78 f150 4x4, I know where the axles will go!

I will try to follow your thread. I am just swamped with work for the rest of the month tho

I am interested in what happens.

this is my first actual lifted truck. i've had a 89 f150 that was 2wd that was lifted to play in the mud, didn't do too well. from then on i've been building frame draggin mini trucks.

updated pictures!

Ford 9" (upside Down)
0917082220.jpg

Dana 44
0907081334.jpg

Dana 44 with arms
0917082221.jpg

The gears in both axles are about 3.55, which i am thinkin of goin with 4.88s or 4.56s. when i upgrade to a 302 which, in your opion, gear ration should i go with?

oh and a few pics of the leaf spring packs i built using ranger and explorer leafs.

0917082221a.jpg

0917082221b.jpg

The order of leaves are:

1) explorer main
2) cut-down ranger main
3) explorer second
4) cut-down ranger second
5) explorer third
6) ranger fourth
7) ranger fifth
8) explorer overload

Hate to burst your bubble, but that leaf pack is gonna be crazy stiff.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that leaf pack is gonna be crazy stiff.
i know but i won't be wheeling all that often. Just every once in a while and it'll really never be hardcore. Just the same ol same ol. But i want this truck to be flashy and perform decently. A guy here in town has the same lift done but its really trashy and hacked so i wanna show him up since he thinks his truck is number one on the list.

also i'm not sure i'll be running those. I'm kinda interested in the 63" chevy leaves

.....i want this truck to be flashy and perform decently. A guy here in town has the same lift done but its really trashy and hacked so i wanna show him up since he thinks his truck is number one on the list.....

Um, OK:rolleyes:

OK so i decided to build a trail rig. it'll have a 302 with a C4 rock crusher, a 203 and possibly a 205 t case to double it. also, 3" body lift to clearence all this.

any help or tips on a 302 install in a RBV?

also i'll be building me a wristed passenger arm as soon as i get the use of my father in laws shop. is 12 gauge steel thick enough? also help on what to do. i know to cut it in two, grind the axle side to be round and put a bolt to pivot on and a pin to hold it in place. any other tips? i'll also be puttin heims on both arms.

OK so i decided to build a trail rig. it'll have a 302 with a C4 rock crusher, a 203 and possibly a 205 t case to double it. also, 3" body lift to clearence all this.

any help or tips on a 302 install in a RBV?

also i'll be building me a wristed passenger arm as soon as i get the use of my father in laws shop. is 12 gauge steel thick enough? also help on what to do. i know to cut it in two, grind the axle side to be round and put a bolt to pivot on and a pin to hold it in place. any other tips? i'll also be puttin heims on both arms.

Yes supercharge it it will be cheeper in the long run.:D

James duff has a lot of info on there site. I am convenced that the best way to build it is get a wrecked v8 Ex and move everything over. There is no other pully configuration that will let you mount the rad in the stock location without moving the engine crazy amounts back. And do not clock the np205 up as floor pan clearence will be a problem even with a 3" bl. You have to have a remote oil filter since there will be abought 3" of clearence to the steering sector. Do not cheep out here get a good adapter (machined billet) to save time and agrevation. I made my motor mounts but i recomend getting the conversion mounts. Duff headers do not seem to have good clearence with sas. I recomend factory headers or manifolds or aftermarket Ex headers. ( check 410 FORTUNE He has a good write up on his broncoII) A Mustang oil pan is necessary. On your doubler relocation of the gas tank will most likely be necessary. If I can be of help just ask.

thats a lot of good info... i was thinki nof just runnin a carb'd 302 with a 550 or 600 cfm carb and chrome it out. the doubler is just a thought right now. i wouldn't mind using a bII gas tank in the rear end except for the fact that it may get hung up on stuff.

wow i was that stupid of beating my truck? since then i've wheeled it and gotten a few battle scars, i'm lookin back into a solid axle now...

not for wheeling though. for haulin a baby and diapers, during the week. later i'll be cuttin my cargo top off and welding my hatch in its place. plan on cutting heavy rocker, plating it, and runnin a slider in its place. from my ARB bumper i'll be welding a tube fender and plating it around my cut fenders and to the sliders. sliders up around to my soon to own rear swing bumper.

Back