• Register Today It's free!

1992 Engine Cuts Out

Spiderssocold

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
While driving the engine will cut out for half a second or so and then return to its prior speed. Problem started after engine overheated due to bad water pump. Could a computer be shot from too much heat? Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the computer shouldnt of been effected by the heat as it is inside the cabin, as for the cutting out problem it could be any number of things, lose wire, bad sensor, coil pack. who fixed the water pump and how long after that repair did this start?

I replaced the water pump and theromstat housing myself. The problems began immediately after making the change.

go back and double check all your wires and connectors to anything electronic under the hood. possible you may have bumped somthing lose or off durring the work.

If your wiring and connectors check good (give em all a good wiggle to make sure they're attached), does your CEL come on? Codes might send you in the right direction. If everything checks good, I'd suspect spark plugs or wires, but that's just a guess. You might have to go through a process of elimination.

Hopefully you fixed it quick. Had a similar problem (waterpump rattling bearing went), but the overheating actually cracked my heads. I did have the cutting out problem too during the whole experiance. Check the crankshaft position sensor. You were in that area and could have bumped it loose. I actually replaced mine and the problem went away....until the heads finally cracked and had a cloud following my truck. Good luck

Have you plulled the codes? There may be a code stored even if the CEL is out.

scooter- i think it may be the sensor as I've had a few mechanic friends suggest this. Where is it located at i dont recall seeing any wires near where i was at in the front of the engine. I haven't pulled the codes as i have yet to find someone with a reader capable of it. I'm a student on a (very) bare bones budget and was checking to see if it was a common problem before i took it to a mechanic for a reading.

forgot to mention, CEL only comes on when engine cuts out and goes back off with the return of power. Will a code reading show anything without a CEL?

it may store the code. since it is OBD1 there is a good possibility that it wont. as for the crank sensor, if you crawl under the truck and looking at the harmonic balancer look up and to the left you will see it. there is a exciter ring behind the harmonic balancer and the sensor will be very close to touching that ring.
cranksensor.gif
here is a pic

The needle looking sensor can get covered with dirt and crap if the water pump was leaking out of the weep hole onto the sensor. It maybe as simple as wiping it off and checking the connection...hopefully that is your problem

When you pull the codes from the EEC-IV computer (procedures should be in the sticky's in this forum) they show up in one of two tests, the KOEO and KOER. The first, Key On Engine Off, will give two types of codes...On Demand, are "real time" faults that exist during the test. (I doubt you'll have a code here). The second half of the KOEO test is the Memory codes. If the light came on, you'll definitely have a fault stored here. The trick is recognizing the separator code between the On Demand codes and the Memory codes. The KOER, Key On Engine Running, test may or may not give you a code. I think the KOEO test would be sufficient for you.

edit: see if this link will work
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=147734

Thanks- it was the crankshaft position sensor after all. wiped it down, sprayed some 409 into it while running and havent had any problems with it for 3 days of driving.

Back