'91 XLT engine cuts out

NeurologicalFall

Reaction score
City, State
Liverpool,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hello,

Just bought this truck knowing it had a hesitation, but had no idea it was as bad as this!! When accelerating from a dead stop you can only give it a little bit of gas to get it going. Takes forever to get it past 45mph. If you give it too much gas the idle goes up and down like your choking it. If you floor it the engine cuts out completely like you just turned the throttle all the way down on a snowblower.... take your foot off the gas and it pitters and patters for a couple seconds before cutting back in. I'm guessing it has something to do with how much gas is being delivered to the engine... or I could be wrong. Any suggestions?? ALSO: appears to be slow oil leak coming out of the intake manifold where it's connected to the engine.... valve seals??? Thanx.

drivability concern

start with the fuel concern, replace the fuel filter, unknown when it was replaced last, check the fuel quality, inspect the fuel pressure. Make sure all the vacuum lines are routed correctly. Check for manifold vacuum leaks on upper and lower intake. If there is a malfunction indicator light (mil) on we need to know about it. Pull the codes and address the concerns. I suspect a fuel delivery concern and a manifold leak.

Also, read up on the many IAC posts in this forum.

Back