1992 Explorer transmission swapping help is needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer transmission swapping help is needed.

halvorsc

Reaction score
City, State
Roundup, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 and 1993 Explorer
I have a 1992 Explorer and a 1993. I will try to make it short. The 93 bad motor/ good tranny, the 92 good motor/ bad tranny. The 92 had a problem with going into OD. The 93, no problem. I had a 'local guy' do the swap. The 'new' tranny from the 93 would not go into OD and 1 week later I now have a major fluid leak in the bell housing. My question is this:1) what would cause the OD not to work, and has the pump been 'loaded?'

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome halvor

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the transmissions section. The 92 transmission was probably not a problem since the 93 didn't have overdrive either. Overdrive is computer controlled by sensors such as the VSS, TPS, MAF, ECT, etc, so scan for codes, and check electrical connections. As for the seal blowing out, you might have a bad seal or bushing on the bell housing.

In the 93 it seems like I have 1 2 D the OD and it goes through all the gears 1, 2, D, then kicks down again. The 92 never did that, but it has the OD symbol like the 93......what am I missing?

Back