1993 explorer free wheels down hill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer free wheels down hill

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
I bought another explorer. I thought the price was good as it ran good and seemed to shift right. On the way home I noticed that it free wheeled down hill. I know I read about this somewhere but can't find it now. I was thinking of pulling the valve body and putting it in my 1994 that doesn't move at to see if it was the valve body but I would like to get it working right first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by freewheeling, there's no engine braking? Unless the torque converter was locked all the time (which isn't normal) then it shouldn't be drag braking.

Valve bodies will swap between years without issue for the most part. I put a 94 valve body on a 92 trans successfully.

What do you mean by freewheeling, there's no engine braking? Unless the torque converter was locked all the time (which isn't normal) then it shouldn't be drag braking.

Valve bodies will swap between years without issue for the most part. I put a 94 valve body on a 92 trans successfully.

Yep. I'm not getting any engine braking. Just coast down hill. Any idea what causes this? Thanks!

Doesn't work in any gear. Thanks for the link.

It not only has no engine breaking in any gear but it also seems to shift in od when selector is in park? Still out driving trying to figure this out. Anyone had this problem?

Doesn't work in any gear. Thanks for the link.

It not only has no engine breaking in any gear but it also seems to shift in od when selector is in park? Still out driving trying to figure this out. Anyone had this problem?

I have no engine braking either, as far as I know, my transmission is working perfectly! However I don't get the shifting in OD while in Park. That is a problem.

So you have no actual Park gear? It's just always in gear except for neutral?

I have no engine braking either, as far as I know, my transmission is working perfectly! However I don't get the shifting in OD while in Park. That is a problem.

So you have no actual Park gear? It's just always in gear except for neutral?

Ooops. My bad. I meant drive.
I believe your trans should slow you down going down hill. Mine will coast as if its in neutral.

I don't get a lot of engine braking on any A4LD equipped Explorer I've owned.

On my Bronco, turning off overdrive on the E4OD also engages the coast clutch for increased engine braking down hills. I don't think the Explorer has the same ability, being a simpler trans and not made for towing.

Engine brake on the first gen is PCM controlled and has little to do with the trans.

The PCM simply stops the fuel injectors while decelerating.

If your shift solenoids are working and it sounds like yours is in good working order.

So the only other input needed is vehicle speed.

You have a bad speed sensor...Done and Done..:)

Where would I find this speed sensor and wil that cause it to shift into od when its in drive?

It's not shifting into over-drive in drive, that's the torque converter clutch. (not the same thing)

In Drive you will feel 4 distinct "shifts" the fourth is not over-drive it's the TCC.

TCC engagement should be at 45 mph or higher. If it's engaging at lower speeds it's the speed sensor again. different symptom same problem.

Speed sensor is on the transfer case and is also the feed for the speedo cable.

This dude:
main1_zps1df0e639.jpg

the original A4LD i had in mine did the same thing, no engine brake, or the trans would disengage when ever i let off the gas, but i also had the no 1-2 shift when cold, untill i changed the speed governor and the valve body gasket hoping to fix just the cold shift issues, but it seemed to fix everything.

Thank you I will swap the speed sensor and see what happens.
Now you got me wondering if its shifting into overdrive at all.

Does your cruse control work?

Cruise works. Put a used speed control in with no difference.

The engine braking feature is turned off In OD. (For fuel economy on the highway)

If you need engine braking i.e. towing you need to shift to D.

In other words it's normal.

If your in steep terrain the same applies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back