1993 Explorer JBL stock radio

99redvette

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Hi Gang

The radio went out, just like you turned it off. Checked the fuses, all ok. where would a good starting point be. I got it to come on for just a split second one time, nothing since. Antenna seems ok, connection wise. Been having a lot of static/snapping when raising and lowering the volumn the last few weeks. Could be connected.??? I think the amp is in the back/cargo area, I think on the passenger side. Want to check all the connections. Don't get anything out of it, but the buttons/clock/readout all work, tape deck wont accept a tape too. Have not pulled out the radio yet waiting for the tools.

All and any help will be appreciated.....Thanks.......Gunny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My stock Premium radio started doing the exact same thing. Tape deck not working, snapping and popping when changing the volume, etc. I guessed it was on it's way out. I'd assume yours is dead. I replaced it with the one I'm selling in the forum. I can't guarantee that the new deck will solve all the problems in case any are related to the seperate amp, but it might.

mine has always popped and made weird noises when changing the volume for the past 5 years I've owned the vehicle

sometimes the cassetes throw an error and I gotta put it in and take it out a few times before it works.
and very rarely I'll be using hte cassete and it'll like freeze and then reset the time and work normally... really bizarre

mine did this so i bought a new sterio. at best buy they sell an adapter so you can use the JBL amp. it makes it very easy. you just plug it in to the factory connector and then match up the colors and you have a new sterio. if you go to a car toys or something like that they will try to charge you to rewire the whole car. and if the factory sub goes out you can hook up 10' with a box and it sounds GREAT.

1993 Jbl

Hi gang

I appreciate all the info. I am trying to keep everything all the same as the car came with. I really don't use the radio for any music, I gave up trying to listen to this music, if you want to call it that, and I went to listening to talk radio. Out here they have one of the best, KGO, that is all I listen to. I don't remember the last time I had a tape in it. But over all it has been a good radio, what can you expect out of a 13 year old car/radio.

It is the second car so it don't get used too much, but it has been old reliable. When all the rest have problems or no starts, this old Explorer comes to the rescue. I cannot complain about the service I have gotten out of it.

So any one out there that has one of these JBL radios/amps let me know. We can work out some thing for the cost and the shipping.

Thanks and take care...Gunny...And have a good and safe Holiday season

The radio I have up for grabs sounds like it should work perfectly for your purposes. Check your email. :)

Have you checked any of the salvage yards around your area. I know that the local salvage yard here sells car radios with cassette for 13 dollars. I believe that CD units are 25 dollars. Also the amps are about 25 to 40 dollars. After my stock JBL setup blew the magic smoke I thought about going this route... Also if you are in need of speakers they sell them for 3 bucks each. You may want to see if yours have dry rotted surrounds. If the surrounds dry rot it can cause the speaker cone to travel off center possibly causing the voice coils to scrape against the magnet causing a short. I know all mine had to be replaced including the subwoofer about 4 or 5 years ago because of this. Good luck.
Adam

He already bought the radio I was selling, fixed everything.

My front speakers had the dry rotting surround, but rather than mess around, I went with the Pioneer 6 x 8" 2-way replacements. An awesome upgrade for any system, and with the cloth surrounds, no worries about that problem again.

Anime4x4 Sorry I did not see that the your post was a couple of weeks ago. I am glad that your radio fixed his problems. I know that getting the radio from you he knows that it is a known good unit as with salvage yards you are playing Russian roulette. The thing that bites with the cost of the JBL upgrade you would think that the system would last a little more than a few years. The only thing that I have had any major problems with in the X from day one has been the audio system. After the warranty was up as components of the system have failed I have replaced them with aftermarket.

Back