1993 Explorer problems

FurdExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
Greetings,
I have a 1993 Explorer with 156,x.. miles on it. Was running fine, but now is idling like crap and smells like it is over fueling. Have white/grey smoke coming out of tail pipe. So I am pretty sure I popped a head gasket. I changed plugs, coil, coolant sensor, just thinking was possible emission issue. I don't appear to be loosing coolant, but when it fires up the smell of raw fuel is oppressive. I have an exhaust leak (now that I can see it) on the drivers side. Where the exhaust manifold attaches to exhaust pipe can see mist coming out that smells of fuel. When I pulled the plugs, the drivers side were clean and smelled of gas. The passenger side was all carboned up. Pulled codes (and what I could determine) saying one side running lean one side running rich. Also showing an over temperature code. Also checked all the plug wires and they all show resistance. Any advice about pulling heads? Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks, Shane

Sounds like it overheated at some point and the head gaskets are blown and the grey/white smoke is likely from coolant getting into the fuel. The intake gaskets might be blown as well and could cause the idle issue with air getting into the intake through the leaky gasket.

Search around for some engine rebuild / head gasket replacement threads for a step-by-step walkthrough with images.

You're best off replacing all the gaskets along the way, and should probably have the heads checked out as well to be sure they aren't cracked. If they are, get new aftermarket heads.

Back