• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer that stalls.

DirtyEx

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
I have a '93 Ex xlt, 4x4 manual that has a sporatic stalling problem. When sitting at idle at a long light the idle gets very rough and starts to break up and bogs down. Most of the time i can restart the motor and pump the gas and it will clear. The problem had gone away for a while when I replaced the o2 sensor on the driver's side, before the cat. The truck ran good and I thought the problem was eliminated until today when it happened again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any insight to what it might be??

Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with some basic diagnostics: check for vacuum leaks, pull codes (even if CEL isn't on), and check fuel pressure. If there are any "tune-up" items that are due (spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.) I'd probably get those done.

i had same problems. check pressure. idle should be around 30. try just the key on pressure. if below 20, you could have a faulty hose connecting your pump and metal fuel intake lines. also may be fuel filter.

Mine does this exact thing. Hasn't gotten so bad to stall, I just pop it in park and give it a bit of gas.

Back