1994 4.0 explorer trans swap to 2001 4.0 ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4.0 explorer trans swap to 2001 4.0 ranger

the_ocean

Reaction score
City, State
Irvine, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Is it possible to swap the trans from my 1994 4.0l explorer to my 2001 4.0l Ranger? trans is going out in the ranger and the explorer is out of commission but has a freshly remanned trans in it.Thanks guys any help would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple Answer , The way it is . NO . I'll let a Trans guy Chime and Give you a reason or Reason's ! .

The only difference I can think of will be the extra bolt on that is on the SOHC motors. The old trans won't have that. You might be further ahead to swap the top plate as well as you'll have to use the old shifter with the old transmission.

If there's another reason but all means state it but that's all I can think of.

Are we talking 2wd or 4x4?

thanks guys, 2wd. you mean swap the bell housings?

one is a a4ld, the other is a 5r55e. your going from bad to worse. a4ld is a 4 spd, 5r55e is a 5 spd, that and with major electronic differences.

one is a a4ld, the other is a 5r55e. your going from bad to worse. a4ld is a 4 spd, 5r55e is a 5 spd, that and with major electronic differences.

Oops. For some reason I thought this was dealing with manuals. Been reading too much into those lately.

Back