94 explorer trans swap question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer trans swap question

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Cloud, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt 2wd
My a4ld has kicked the bucket so im wanting to swap a 5vspeed in its place. Ive done a bit of searching and can't seem to find the answer im looking for... Im trying to find out if I could swap an 5mod from an 88 2.9 ranger. Car-part.com lists it on the interchange, but when looking at the slaves, there are different ones from 88-92 and 93-00. So what im asking is what id need to complete this swap. Could I use 4.0 flywheel, clutch, pp? Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. I'm guessing you found one for cheap?
It would bolt up. It would have have lower gearing vs the 4.0 gearing.
If you get it, try to get everything with it, just in case, the clutch and slave, flywheel, hydraulic line, maybe even the master cyl.
Then see if the master will bolt to your firewall. If yes, then I'd use the whole 88 system. If it doesn't fit for some reason and you gotta go with an Explorer master, then see where you can splice in the older system, or if you have to go Explorer all the way.

If all you can get is the 88 trans with none of the related parts, I'd keep looking and find a trans from a 4.0.

Yes indeed it is cheap! Neglected old ranger, and luckily most of it is there. I stumbled across a thread over on ranger-forums, and it does seem like a lot of the parts are going to be interchangeable. Also came across a 94 sport in the junkyard I can grab odds and ends from

I'd get the clutch/brake pedal assembly out of the 94 Sport...

The difference between the 2.9 and 4.0 M5OD is the gear ratios. Get the clutch parts for your year vehicle. Find a manual transmission harness from an explorer or you can splice the wires for backup lights, the clutch pedal position switch if you choose to install it and I believe the vss too. The trans mount and location is the same. I swapped a M5OD into my 4.0L aerostar van, I had to use ranger parts cause the 4.0 vans never had a manual option.

Took me a bit to gather parts, but I finally got it together. I ended up going with a m5 out of a 91 X, because I neglected to realize that the other Trans was actually a 2.3 bellhousing. Had a hell of a time finding a 2wd 4dr driveshaft too. Used all new parts for everything else, minus the pedals. I initially used a manual computer but, I guess it was bad because my truck ran like crap with it. I also just ended up modding my auto Trans harness for the back up lights and to jump to nss. It fought me at every turn, but it was definitely money and time well spent

Back