• Register Today It's free!

1996 4.0 explorer trans problem

IronMinotaur

Reaction score
City, State
Herriman, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys. I'm posting here because i haven't been able to find a clear answer in my searching on the internet. I have a 1996 explorer with about 200k miles 4x4 with a 4.0 v6 automatic transmission. One day when my wife was driving it to work we thought the transmission went out. We took it to a shop and the only thing they told us was they would recommend a rebuild. (For about $2400) Since this is almost 3 times more than I paid for it, I decided i would try to find a donor transmission. However, when i got it home and tried shifting gears it seemed like it would switch into gear but not start to go anywhere unless it is given full throttle and even then it seems like it is caught on something or the e-brake is on (which its not). There was no warning to this problem starting it was working fine and then as she started to go from a stop light it just had no power and wouldn't go anywhere. Any advice on where to start with small fixes would be great before I get into the swap. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing to check would be fluid level and condition .

Fluid level is fine but smells a little burnt. Does this mean new trans time?

Is the OD light flashing? Torque converter could be failing. With the fluid smelling burnt and the miles on it I would be looking to find a used transmission. Good luck.

Is the OD light flashing? Torque converter could be failing. With the fluid smelling burnt and the miles on it I would be looking to find a used transmission. Good luck.

No there aren't any lights on the dash. Happened without any warning. I figured I would probably be replacing the trans. But hoped I could make it limp along through the winter.

Back