1994 Ranger 4.0L 2WD Manual - throwing codes - surging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger 4.0L 2WD Manual - throwing codes - surging

hzgcyg4800

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger 4.0L 2wd
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with a 1994 Ford Ranger with a 4.0L, 5 spd manual Transmission. I read alot of previous threads and can not find a solution. The vehicle starts fine. When driving the vehicle, we have an intermittent power loss condition, feels like half the cylinders are not firing. I have Codes 226, 212 and 232. The tach has been intermittently running for quite some time even when the lack of power was not an issue. I switched out the Primary Coil and the ICM with new component without any improvements. I checked continuity of the tan/yellow wire from the PCM to the ICM and is OK. Is it possible that the tach itself can give the erroneous codes resulting in the power loss? When I say power loss, I can drive the vehicle with the loss of power and then all of a sudden, power kicks back in. This gives a kind of surging condition.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum:chug: Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I renamed your thread so hopefully someone with some experience with the problem may be able to help.

Back