• Register Today It's free!

1994 Towing - real world numbers?

sfassett

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I have a 1994 EB 4x4 4D with about 165k. I bought it new and it is in excellent condition, always used Mobil 1, changed trans fluid regularly, etc. I had the intake overhauled @ 110k, and they said that there was virtually no engine wear.

I have the trailer/tow, which included tranny cooler, 3.73, wiring, and (I believe) "super engine cooling" in '94.

I've seen some varying opinions on this site regarding towing. I am considering the purchase of a camper trailer and am wondering what the max weight of the trailer should be. I don't want to have big restrictions on how long I am able to tow it (within reason-I'm willing to take a break every hour or so).

The manual mentions 5400lbs, and I know this isn't reasonable. I was looking at trailers in the 2000-3000lb range.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt tow more than 5 or 10 lbs... This thread hits all first owners in the privates. U-Haul will rent a real nice truck to a blind, drunken, half wit driver BUT U-Haul will never rent a trailer to you, its called "Intended Liability" when it comes to you and your ex.

squeege said:
I wouldnt tow more than 5 or 10 lbs... This thread hits all first owners in the privates. U-Haul will rent a real nice truck to a blind, drunken, half wit driver BUT U-Haul will never rent a trailer to you, its called "Intended Liability" when it comes to you and your ex.

That's because Uhaul is READ TODD DID. Say it to yourself a few times.

I tow a 2500 lb camping trailer with my 97 Sport. My opinion is that you should probably stick to something under 3000 lbs. You may want to add an extra trans cooler (besides the radiator one) if you tow alot.

At a minimum, get a tranny temp guage. You should be OK up to 3000lb if you aren't going up any big hills.

ALWAYS tow in Drive, not OverDrive!

This is about 4200lb

Attachments

• DSCN2455.JPG
    DSCN2455.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCN2461.JPG
    DSCN2461.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCN2539.JPG
    DSCN2539.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 365