1994 XLT 4x4 - Breaker Bar for Serpentine Belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT 4x4 - Breaker Bar for Serpentine Belt

micklskot

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Guys,

I was looking through my manual, but didn't see the size breaker I need for serpentine belt replacement. I've got a bad alternator and need to get the belt off, but I don't have enough room to get my ratchet on the pulley.

Thanks for the help....

Guys,

I was looking through my manual, but didn't see the size breaker I need for serpentine belt replacement. I've got a bad alternator and need to get the belt off, but I don't have enough room to get my ratchet on the pulley.

Thanks for the help....

First, you don't need a "breaker bar" to rotate the tensioner enough to slip the belt off...a 10" socket wrench works fine, or super easy with a 14". You just need to remove the air duct from the MAF sensor to the throttle body, and you will have plenty of room. Just find the right socket to fit the hex nut fitting on the center of the tensioner pulley, apply the wrench, and rotate the tensioner in a counter-clockwise direction...the tensioner will lift, and the belt will easily slip off the alternator pulley...and then you just let the tensioner back down...it will go down a little further than its original position, so plan your starting wrench position to be at about "2 o'clock", because it will go back to around 3 or 4 o'clock.

Also, before you remove the belt, make sure you have the sticker that shows the belt path...should be right before your eyes under the hood...if not, make a sketch for your reference. Hope this helps.:usa:

Ricco,

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try.

Back