• Register Today It's free!

1995 ac parts on 1992

Nogman

Reaction score
City, State
La Luz, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt
I have a question about getting my ac going again, hasn't been working for years, so I figured I would replace most of the system. I I get a compressor and drier kit, and the barrier hoses for a 1994/95 that had r134a would it all bolt right up? Also should I replace the condenser while I'm at it or just flush it out? Not sure if replacing the evaporator would be worth the hassle getting it out/ in. Or just replace it all while I'm at it?

I've done this same thing a few times now. Order the parts for a 94. It will bolt together as a set. You will want to change everything out. The oils are not compatible and will turn to tar if mixed. The r12 systems don't have a high side switch. It can be wired in if you so choose. All it does is cut out the compressor out when system pressure goes above a certain amount, which is under the pressure relief value in the high side manifold. The 94s also have a vacuum bypass in the heater core water supply. It gets a vacuum signal from the control unit in the dash to divert coolant from the core. You would need to put something in there to do this same thing. R134 doesn't work as well as R12. They had to remove all sources of heat and insulate things better to make the system work decent. The system is bigger on a 95 to make up for the loss in efficiency.

I did my 93 with 94 parts but kept the evaporator. I flushed that out for days, with cleaner, water, air, repeat. Worked for me. My heater core was disconnected so no need for that.

Back