1995 Explorer 4.0 cam position sensor/synchronizer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer 4.0 cam position sensor/synchronizer.

ssteves

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
!
Does anybody know about the 95 explorer 4.0 sensor and synchronizer? Is it the same or different than the 96,97,98 item? - 96 and beyond are available on ebay for $40- $60 which includes the synchronizer, the sensor and the alignment tool.
Could I buy one for a 96 or beyond and have it fit my 95?
My truck has a bad intermitent squeal and a 214 fault code but still runs...

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96+ will not fit your 95
95 is your only option

94 will not fit, 97 will not fit, I found this out the hard way when I put a 97 engine into a 95 truck

Jamie, will the housings interchange? Or is it just the sensor that won't interchange? Can something be rewired or changed to convert to the more popular sensor?

The plugs are different for 96+ and the housing is different for 94 on down.

95's are unique animals on engine electronics as they are the only year for the 2nd gen body with OBD-I/EEC-IV.

Some sensors interchange with '94s but not very many.

Thanks very much for the discussion...I wouldn't mind changing the plug to the different style sensor if someone could tell me for sure if the later synchro actually fits into the 95 4.0 engine block (from all the photos I've seen they look pretty darn close dimesionally)...
What could change in the sensor, impedance and/or polarity? I could test those things with a volt/ohm meter...
Looks like a simple hall effect sensor...

Regards,
Steve

I do not think the 94 sensor will fit in the 95 block
the 97 sensor is longer then the 95 sensor

The 95 was the first year of plastic intakes, not sure why , but the mounting depth of the cam sensor changed
97 was the first year of the 8 bolt crank, the cam sensor changed again!

from my 95 engine replace thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151705

Next was the camshaft position sensor, here you can see th e95 vs the 97 sensor. As you can see the 97 sensor is deeper into the block, so it MUST be used with the 97 engine, requiring me to swap out the wiring plug on the harness:
camshaftsens.jpg

(Earlier versions of the OHV (91-93) do NOT have this sensor, it can be deleted and the block off plate installed on the 95 TM block if you are putting this engine into an earlier model)
Some late model 93's (CA emissions 93's) also had a cam pos sensor

97 engine with 97 sensor (3 wires)
newflywheel.jpg

Okay so the 97 sensor will not fit the 95 block, the 94 sensor MIGHT work in the 95 block but I have not researched this. I remember reading the 95 cam pos sensor is unique to the 95

The difference between a 2 wire and 3 wire sensor is the 3 wire =
1. cam sensor wire to pcm
2. sensor signal return (ground)
3. power

2 wire:
1. sensor signal return (ground)
2. power/sensor wire to pcm

the two wire gets its ground from the SSR (light grey with red)
and its power from the CAm sensor wire from the PCM

You can EASILY install a 2 wire sensor into a 3 wire block and vise versa, you just have to tap into the solid red power wire (Acc 12V+ to all sensors)
it will work

the sensor is simply a stator telling the engine, yes the oil pump drive shaft is spinning
Get this the SOHC which has no cam above the crank like the OHV, but it still has the cam pos sensor mounted here and a dummy camshaft for driving the front timing chains LOL

I was not able to use the 95 guts in the 97 sensor body

My friend Brett put a 2004 SOHC into a 93 explorer sport using the 93 computer
His 93 truck HAD a cam pos sensor (CA truck) so we wired the 04 sensor to the 93 computer, 2 wire to a 3 wire harness, it works 100% (he ignored the valve cover moutned cam sensor on the SOHC)

so in conclusion:

- I do not think the 94 or 96 sensor will fit the 95 block but I have not tried
- I know the 97+ will not fit it
-You can use a 2 or 3 wire sensor regardless of your computer, simple wiring is required, but its been done over here a few times
-the cam sensor is a simple rotating stator, IMO the alignment tool is NOT required for the OHV 4.0L V6, it is my understanding the cam sensor is only used by the PCM during initial start up

1995 Explorer 4.0 cam position sensor/synchronizer

Great photos and info thanks very much!
Looks like I need to either buy one from Ford or get a low mileage one from a wrecking yard. There is guy selling "take off" sensors on ebay which he says are taken off of new ford engines that he dismantled and sold. He needs a number from synchro casting...which I cant get unless I take the truck apart which isn't easy to do since its my daughters truck an she doesnt live with me so I have limited opportunity to get under the hood and investigate.
Does anyone have a casting number from bonafide 95 synchro that I can give the ebay guy?

Please let me know, thanks s bunch!
Steve

the cam pos sensor is held down exactly like a distributor used to be, hold down plate and bolt if youare familiar with that

However on the OHV 4.0L it is VERY difficult to access, especially with the upper intake in place
Call your Ford dealer and ask them for the specific part number for a 95 OHV cam pos sensor, then compare the part number to the 94 and 96 trucks with the same engine....that should help you in your search for a new one

Based on your info for the 2-3 wire conversion I went to the junk yard and pulled a synchronizer/sensor off of a 96 explorer 4.0. It is a 3 wire with a short shaft. So just to make sure I understood the wiring you discussed I put together the attached diagram please let me know if my assumptions are correct.
adminFolder.aspx

'95.5, 4.0L, Synchronizer - Hard to find

I'm having the same problem with finding the part. Error codes say I need this part replaced to pass smog. The mechanic called it a synchronizer and says that Ford discontinued the part and we can't get it from the dealership any more. I can't seem to find the right part on ebay. It's either a '96 part (long metal thingy) of or a '95 Cam Position Sensor but it looks entirely different (short black plastic thingy). Do I need both of these?

My production date was June '95 and I'm wondering if anyone knows if they have some '96 parts on later '95 models? Where else can I look for this part? The mechanic (bless him) pretty much left it up to me.:(

85 4.0 cam synchro/sensor

Hi, ford part # is: F3TZ12K073A prices vary but my ford dealer quoted $480 and then said they are no longer available through ford.
I googled that # and found 12 available at www.collectorsautosupply.com 1-800-414-4462 ask for Greg in Canada.
I called greg and he says that these are rebuild for $395 and are highly sought after.
I'd call him if you are willing to spend that much.
I found a 96 explorer 4.0 at a local Southern California Pick a Part and yanged it myself...it was 10 bucks and as good as new. It is dimensionally correct to the 95 synchro but I havent put it in yet...not sure if the oil pump spline is the same. The one thing that is different is its a 3 wire versus the 95 being a 2 wire...I can get into this if you are interested let me know...

Hi, ford part # is: F3TZ12K073A prices vary but my ford dealer quoted $480 and then said they are no longer available through ford.
I googled that # and found 12 available at www.collectorsautosupply.com 1-800-414-4462 ask for Greg in Canada.
I called greg and he says that these are rebuild for $395 and are highly sought after.
I found a 96 explorer 4.0 at a local Southern California Pick a Part and yanged it myself...it was 10 bucks and as good as new. It is dimensionally correct to the 95 synchro but I havent put it in yet...not sure if the oil pump spline is the same. The one thing that is different is its a 3 wire versus the 95 being a 2 wire...I can get into this if you are interested let me know...
Hi,I just went through this myself(September 2008) as I found a new one here from a forum member,I removed the upper intake plenum and match marked everything,I put the new one in exactly as the old one came out and now I have the check engine light is back on with the same 214 code,a local electronic shop (radio communication)thinks he can just replace the hall effect unit.I have found the hall effect unit from a VW Jetta that I think I'LL try but I'm also thinking that the Explorer still runs fine maybe I'll leave it alone. If anyone knows how to time this thing maybe that would be worth a try. Watta ya think?=

How did it go putting the '96 camshaft position sensor in the '95? I also can't find an integral-style '95, so was wondering if it might be possible to convert to the easier to find 2-part style.

Thanks,
Vicki

Theoretically your code 214 can be caused by a bad cam sensor, crank sensor, ignition module, computer, or bad wiring or connections in between. It could also be produced by a wild alternator, spewing out stray voltage from a bad diode or voltage regulator, interrupting the subtle signal made by a camshaft position sensor. I just put a new alternator in about a month before the problems all started. How to diagnose: Charge up the battery. Clear out the codes. Run it until the ck eng lt 214 shows. Bring it back home. Clear out the codes. Disconnect the alternator. Yes--disconnect the alternator. Isolate the battery terminal at the alternator from any short circuits by wrapping it in elec tape. Take the car on the same trip. If the code does not set on, you found the problem. The voltage regulator is transmitting stray AC voltage that is being picked up by the cam sensor or the PCM and throwing the whole system off. Do the test in daylight with no loads on--no radio, no headlights, no blower.

did that 96 sensor work in your 95 im having trouble with my 95

If the aftermarket doesn't come to the rescue, I see you guys having to end up building something that will work and the ECM will recognize.

Had to register so I could inform any others out there.

Just finished putting a 98 4.0 Cam Synchro into my 94/95 4.0 Block. Starts and runs as intended. It was a 3 wire to 3 wire swap so I had no wiring issues to deal with other then reconnecting the connector that the previous owner had cut off the harness.

The only differences in mechanical dimensions was the length of the lower shaft that runs the Oil Pump drive shaft. Which just rides lower on the Oil Pump drive shaft. The Oil Pump drive shaft mounting depth was accurate for the newer style Cam Synchro it just ends up riding lower into the block and covering more of the Oil Pump drive shaft then the 95 model cam synchro.

So the only real issue for others that are trying to upgrade to the cheaper/upgraded cam synchro model is wiring the correct connector or dealing with a 2 wire setup for a 3 wire synchro.

Edit:
98 4.0 Cam Synchro this was incorrect it was infact the 96/97 Cam Synchro from RockAuto with 123mm shaft

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys i have a 91 body will a 95 engine work or what do you guys think. My engine is dead so my only option was to buy a used engine. The guys from the shop told me that it will fit and work but im skeptical.

Back