• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Explorer Issues

elementalchain

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I am new here. I have been driving my parents explorer as a daily. It has around 257k miles. Here are the isses: Check Gauge Light On. Check Engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving. The O/D light will come on every so often and i just disconned the negative battery cable and reset it. The biggest problem i am having is that i get horrible gas mileage. The car runs at 2500 rpm at 60 mph. Also the engine will seem to rev or surge constantly while drive at a constant speed. The tach doesnt go up and down though. I have replaced the TPS Sensor. I think i get like 10 miles to the gallon. Can someone give me some advice on causes and cures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First things first

You want to pull the codes first to tell you where to start looking.

Check the codes, but I bet you have P0171 and/or P0174 - lean banks 1 and 2. This usually indicates a leaking upper intake plenum which results in a lean running condition. Relatively inexpensive fix if it is.

i will go get the codes pulled. anyother ideas would be great.

Its 1995 so pulling the codes will do very little.

I missed the part where the CEL is on but obd will not have "p" codes but will have 3 digit codes obd2 is 96+

Your describing alot, and can be caused by a lot.

You need to pull codes, but if the engine is running smoothly, could be DPFE, O2 Sensors, and a lot more crap. Go spend $30.00, and at least get scanner if it's OBD1. It's cheaper than parts, and can at least point you in the right direction.

If your explorer is a '95 or earlier, your limited to the info the on-board computer will tell you. An OBD 1 ford scanner runs about 30 bucks, trust me on this, well spent. A DPFE runs $50, EGR Selenoid $40, IACV $75, etc.

Start swapping parts, and you can spend a mint.

Well it is a '95 and nothing has been swapped on it, possibility of it being put in after a certain build date?

Where is the connector? Is it by your knee or underthe hood

By my knee. Its OBD II, I know it is. I just like it when people think they know everything cause it was on wikipedia.

You have a 1 in a million truck its not common but I guess it could happen. did you buy the car new? and i dont know everything i just know its was mandatory for 96+ cars

by my knees understeering wheel. We have owned the car since 1995.

Some late 1995 were obd 2 and some actually had the port there but were stilll obd1 and had the port under the hood not common but it happens

1995 Ford Explorer 4.0 L EFI

I have a 95 exp with a little over 200k (Odometer broken @ 197K) Mine has the OBD I & II connectors on it. The OBD II is just above the gas pedal on the bottom of the dash. The OBD I is a harness located right by the power brake vacuum booster. The OBD II is not connected to the engine wiring and will not read out anything. The guys at Autozone like to went crazy trying to find out what was wrong until this older employee, came out and showed us the OBD I connector location. I bought the reader and hooked it up and read out the codes from the CEL. I don't remember offhand exactly what they were at the time, but the point being my Exp has BOTH installed from the factory but only the OBD I is active. :)

this is not unique to Ford. '95 was a transition year for ODBII. i had a '95 Pontiac that had the ODBII port, but it didn't work either. '96 was the first year that ODBII was mandatory.

Back