1995 Ford Ranger wont start after short run? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Ranger wont start after short run?

theduke

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Ford Ranger with the 3.0l 6cyl. After going a short distance and shutting the engine off, for a period of time as to say going into a gas station, it will not start back up, unless you sit there for a period of time..usually 10 min. What is causing this? it starts fine on the first start when cold....what causes it not to start when it is warm?

thanks!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it turning over or just the click of the key?

yea, its a double post, i did not know where to put it

it turns over and cranks just like normal, the engine just will not fire!

thanks!

...The double post notice is for the moderators...They can move and delete threads if they need to..;)

...Do you here the Fuel pump whir up when this happens???

...My first thoughts would be a starter or your electrical cables...Have you had any battery or alternator problems recently???

just changed the battery in august.....it is strange it only happens after a short drive when i shut it off and soon try to start it again...but if i wait 5-10 min, it will fire back up.....also if i hold the accelerator down when i turn the key, it sometimes fires and the rpm spike due to me holding the gas down....if i go for a longer drive and turn it off, it seems to start fine....i have know idea?

...The reason I asked about the battery or alt having a problem is it sounds like a battery that has a low cranking amperage due to a possible bad voltage regulator in the Alt or bad cables....:dunno:

...Since this is happening only on short drives my thinking is the battery hasn't received enough charge from the alt in this short distance of a drive to start the vehicle....

...I myself would start with having the battery, alt and possibly the starter bench tested and all are free to have done...

...Is your truck running fine or a bit off???...Does your cel light light up and have you checked for stored codes???

...If you include where you are from next to your name/handle, it would take some of the guess work out when trying to figure out if you are a snow area or desert and someone else may be able to assist you for parts stores and such in your area...:D

truck is running fine, i am in west virginia...mild snow and rain.... i will see if i can find a place to have those checked.

tbars...it isn't the battery. His truck cranks just fine. Nothing wrong with the electrical system with what he's given us.

Try to hold the throttle to the floor when cranking when this occurs. (as you have indicated works) That will shut the injectors off. If the engine catches, let it run as normal. If this is the case, then I would suspect one of two things...the engine thinks it's cold when starting warm and flooding the engine, or you have a leaking injector(s) that is leaking down when you shut off the engine. This isn't all that unusual to have a leaking injector.

...Good catch...I re-read the post and I didn't even see that till now...:banghead:

Back