• Register Today It's free!

1995 Rack and pinion problems

EddieBauer95Ford

Reaction score
City, State
Meredith, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, im having some trouble with my 1995 Ford Explorer..the rack and pinion is leaking fluid everywhere..but i also think it could be the steering box..has anyone had this happen?? And if so are there any simple un-costly repairs i can make??

The "steering box" IS the rack and pinion. Don't know what you are referring to.

If the leaking really is from the rack, then no, there is no inexpensive fix. But first make sure it really is coming from the rack. Check the fluid lines, connectors, pump, etc.

Where do you see the fluid leaking out?

If it is coming out the ends at the inner tie rod ends, it may just be bad seals. You can get a seal kit for not much money, but it is a lot of labor to install it.

First thing to do is find out where on the steering unit it's leaking fluid.

It's possible either one of the hoses or hose seals has perished, or that a rock or bit of road debris has holed the P/S cooler.

If it's the internal seals of the unit, replacement is likely the best path. Rebuilt units are commonly available for $90 to $135 (with much more expensive options available too), used much less than that.

About an hour to change out and with care, you won't need an alignment afterwards -- just take some careful measurements at the tie rod ends before removing the old and reassemble to those same measurements.

Back