• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ranger Fuel gauge failure...

ajannen

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger
I've been dealing with a fuel gauge that bottoms out and stays at empty when the ignition is turn on. Does this mean there is juice to the gauge? I'm thinking tank float or sending unit? Does the PCM control the gauge? All fuse and cluster connections have been checked and look good.
I did get a junkyard replacement but it too did not work and produced the same result. Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine pegs out past full when ignition is on. I suspect a short, but have never bothered with it for 6 years now.
The float in the tank is a common failure, check here for info, under the fuel systems grouping. http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill..............
I've have had the cluster out 3 times now, looking for shorts and contact issues.
Was getting tired of the head banging against the dash, but will have at it again.
Alan

I would look under the truck for the short, maybe right on top of the tank.

Mine pegged past full one lousy winter day as I was digging myself a hole in the snow. I revved the crap out of the engine and slush was flying everywhere. All of a sudden, my fuel level needle started to move up and it's been up for 4 months....too lazy to get down there to see if there's a short and the fuel sender is too expensive to take a chance on. The factory shop manual CD is horrible in my opinion, so without decent documentation to check things properly I can't be bothered.

Back