92 Ranger gas gauge is not accurate. The sending unit & gauge were replaced. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Ranger gas gauge is not accurate. The sending unit & gauge were replaced.

Thanks Cleveburg for the diagram. Right now it looks greek to me but have a place to start now. This with the other comments and suggestions help a lot. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cleveburg was the name we used to call the mistake-by-the-lake back when I was at NavFinCen. I guess it must still there, no?
One thing that no one has mentioned is testing the sending unit when you go to install it. Nor grounding the wire from the gauge where it would attach to the sending unit. You can connect the sending unit, and move the float from either end of its travel to check the functioning of the gauge before installing it into the tank. You can also check the voltage to the gauge and connectivity to the wires under the bed on the top of the tank by grounding the sending unit wire to see the gauge travel fully in one direction.

tom

Here is the wiring diagram for a 92:
(dead link)

The gas gauge is right on the first page.

The actual troubleshooting shouldn't be all that difficult, the issue is getting to all the connectors. It would help to pull the instrument cluster as that is the only way to get to and isolate the transducer and gauge wires.

Just so you happen to know I have talked to a Ford Tech and he has mentioned it is not the gage issue is it the (AntiSlosh-Module) that is behind the instrument cluster.
Try finding a used one and replacing it.
and to let you know as long as it comes from a ranger even if it is new then yours it will still work most of the fords Anti-Slosh Modules as all pretty well the same thing!!

:ttiwwp:They are telling me somthing about a part in the cluster called the anti-slosh module.Have anyone ever heard of such a part?

Yes there is an Anti Slosh Module on the back side of the instrument cluster it look alot like a little computer circuit board.
Iy has one plastic clip to hold it into the sliders slots.
And there is 5 metal little clips that connect to the circuit board of the instrument cluster!
to purchase a new module from Ford it is $191.00 Canadian and to get a good used one from auto wreckers could cost 10.00
you need to weigh the pros and cons. I will upload a picture of the recent module i replaced as well.
(dead link)

suggestion

just for the people that dont really know after you have changed the anti slosh module for your gauge you may also want to check all fuses in the power distribution box on the passenger side there is a possability there is one small fuse burnt out i had issues as well i changed sending and fuel pump and then changed anti slosh module and still had no change in the gauge started looking at all fuses everywhere and low and behold after $300.00 of repairs and time it was a small 10 amp fuse in the power distribution box which cost me 1.00 to replace!! there is also a small fuse for the charging system in the power distribution box as well that may blow when you remove your alternator i find it blowes really easy as well

Back