1995 to 2000 / 2000 to 1995 engine / transmission swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 to 2000 / 2000 to 1995 engine / transmission swap

travishayes89

Reaction score
City, State
Douglasville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I know someone who has a 2000 with a blown head gasket that recently had a transmission replaced. I have a 1995. Both ours have the VIN code X for the engine (4.0 V6).

I want to know if, through some sort of miracle, that I could use the engine from mine or the transmission from his to do a sort of merging the Explorers. I know they sometimes make changes from year-to-year on engines that, over the course of a few years, could result in not insignificant changes, also emissions controls (Where I live the annual inspection is just a plugging in the computer to the OBDII port and all vehicles year 1995 and older don't have to be tested for tag renewals).

I also know the 95 used the 4R55E and the 2000 used the 5R55E (which, from my understanding, are mostly identical inside, the computers are what's different).

I know it's likely to be long shot. I just want to see what some of the enthusiasts say and have had luck with in this regard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've read, it will work...but the shifting will be a little off (it'll shift like the 4 speed) unless you swap PCMs...which may make you run afoul of PATS nonsense.

You can have pats removed with a tune and more hurs purrs

When swapping engines from year to year even with the same model type and vin designation does not mean they have the same "calibration", FORD made changes to the pistons, combustion chamber and cylinder ports almost every year, this also changes the "calibration" in the PCM/ECU. Performance, emissions, and durability are directly related to the calibration for a specific engine combination.
Sure, a 1995 OHV may run in a 2000 chassis, and a 2000 year OHV engine may run when placed into a 1995 chassis, chances are the "calibration" will not be optimal to prevent spark knock/detonation.

The 2000 explorer uses a 5r55e automatic
The 95 Explorer uses a 4r55e automatic

The 95 is OBD1 computer
The 2000 is OBD2 computer

The 95 has a return style fuel system
the 2000 has returnless

Two options:
1. put the 95 engine into the 2000 truck. The engine would be stripped down to the lower intake manifold and installed using all the sensors, wiring, plumbing from the 2000 truck donor engine

2. Put the 2000 trans into the 95 truck, Good option, I am 99% sure the 5r55e can work in a 95, it will just act like a 4 speed auto? You would have to change the trans solenoids and wiring out to match the 95 stuff, use the 95 DTRS (range sensor).
I am not sure option 2 would work, need to get more opinions from experts

HA! I wish.
I know alot about a little and a little about a lot, but no expert on everything!
The 4r55e I tried to avoid :)
Brett would know, I am 99% sure he told me in the past you can bolt a 5r in place of a 4r and it will act like a 4r.........

Back