1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual (5567 pages!) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual (5567 pages!)

I’m the opposite. I know Apple, but I just got an old PC yesterday for this purpose and forscan. So I know nothing about windows. Installing windows 10 last night.

Need to find a RAR extractor to get the ISO. Then, you say windows 10 mounts the volume? So I don’t need to burn a dvd?
Some programs capable of extracting RAR files, like WinRAR, can also extract ISO files into a folder so you don't need to burn a DVD... "Maybe"... some DVD programs want to access a DVD to install for security reason and (most) some don't and can just be installed after the ISO contents are extracted into a folder. I don't recall in this case.

I do vaguely recall something about, that if running the program and it can't find the files it needs, you may need to edit some ini file to point to the correct drive letter where you have the folder with the files from the ISO, for example the ini file may have "E:" or "D:" in it expecting that to be your DVD drive letter but if you put the folder with files on "C:" you'd need to edit the ini file to read "C:" instead.

Other programs like Daemon Tools can mount an ISO file as a virtual drive to use it that way instead and the software has no idea it's not a real DVD. Not sure if there's a free version of WinRAR but there is of Daemon Tools.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some programs capable of extracting RAR files, like WinRAR, can also extract ISO files into a folder so you don't need to burn a DVD... "Maybe"... some DVD programs want to access a DVD to install for security reason and (most) some don't and can just be installed after the ISO contents are extracted into a folder. I don't recall in this case.

Other programs like Daemon Tools can mount an ISO file as a virtual drive to use it that way instead and the software has no idea it's not a real DVD. Not sure if there's a free version of WinRAR but there is of Daemon Tools.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at Deamon, couldn't find the free version but maybe i looked to quickly.

Speaking of AdBlock, I feel a bit sorry for using it, but some websites have so many ads, they cover half of the page!

Daemon Tools Lite is free. It now states "free with ads" and I don't know what that's about as my older version doesn't have any ads that I've seen. Guess you could just uninstall it if it's popping up ads at undesirable times.

https://www.daemon-tools.cc/products/dtLite

Here's an alternate source for the Service Manual DVD ISO in Zip format, 2.45GB:

MEGA

To run the DVD from hard drive without having to mount it every time, you have to edit tsobrowser.ini file and copy the DVD contents to any folder in your hard drive(s).

in tsobrowser.ini file find line that looks like

96_99=03~03~E:\Ford Service~E:\stock\home.htm~1996-1999 Service

change it to

96_99=01~01~C:\your_folder_name_here~C:\stock\home.htm~1996-1999 Service

your_folder_name_here is the name of the folder you copied the contents of the dvd to, folder name might be case sensitive, so capital letters might matter.

Also you can change the "C:\" to any drive letter you want of course.

DVD contents are 2.78 GB (2,992,431,104 bytes) in size, so reserve at least that much space in your hard drive.

Edit:

I tried to make the wiring diagrams work again without much success, someone with ability to access mdb files properly might find a way...

^ The wiring diagrams are the old style, small and poor quality, but i also got that popup .js file error so I uninstalled using the SETUP.EXE, started over and got it to work doing this:

1) Mount ISO with Daemon Tools. Or don't, there are more ways than one to get files off an ISO, you just need to do #2.

2) Extract ISO files to folder named C:\TSO (same folder it was going to make anyway, i just made the folder ahead of time). It doesn't seem to need to be in a folder named TSO, but I figured "why not? Makes it all easier to keep together".

3) Rename this folder before installation: C:\TSO\DATA\DATABASE rename to C:\TSO\DATA\DATABASES

4) Unmount ISO if mounted, *just in case* the installer defaults to it. Install running SETUP.EXE from TSO folder. If it asks for PACODE for Oasis, use 12345.

5) Ignore installation errors like unable to MDAC 2.6, unable to start Jet 4.0, etc, they didn't keep the wiring diagrams from working.

6) Edit the tsobrowser.ini file, similar to what you showed, except that I also got it to work with a slightly different edited line:
96_99=01~01~C:\TSO~C:~stock\home.htm~1996-1999 Service Information~February 2003
I also tried your edited line and that worked too, at least as far as getting the wiring diagrams instead of the script error. I don't know if it impacts any other areas of the program.

Ultimately what I suspect made the difference is #3 above. Topol_86 posted this in another topic here:

Unfortunately their program is a PITA to use because it doesn't use vector elements so every button is tiny on a high resolution display, and the wiring diagrams show up tiny too so I have to save them and use an imaging app zoomed in just to read them.

Just came across another source for the Chilton's 1991-1999 Explorer Maintenance and Repair Manual
60MB PDF Direct Link

Edit: Wait a minute, this version linked above does not have the linked Table Of Contents. Looks like ifixit (manualslib.com) remade the PDF to put their brand stamp on it but left out the TOC links. Below is the better version with full TOC:

^ The wiring diagrams are the old style, small and poor quality, but i also got that popup .js file error so I uninstalled using the SETUP.EXE, started over and got it to work doing this:

1) Mount ISO with Daemon Tools. Or don't, there are more ways than one to get files off an ISO, you just need to do #2.

2) Extract ISO files to folder named C:\TSO (same folder it was going to make anyway, i just made the folder ahead of time). It doesn't seem to need to be in a folder named TSO, but I figured "why not? Makes it all easier to keep together".

3) Rename this folder before installation: C:\TSO\DATA\DATABASE rename to C:\TSO\DATA\DATABASES

4) Unmount ISO if mounted, *just in case* the installer defaults to it. Install running SETUP.EXE from TSO folder. If it asks for PACODE for Oasis, use 12345.

5) Ignore installation errors like unable to MDAC 2.6, unable to start Jet 4.0, etc, they didn't keep the wiring diagrams from working.

6) Edit the tsobrowser.ini file, similar to what you showed, except that I also got it to work with a slightly different edited line:
96_99=01~01~C:\TSO~C:~stock\home.htm~1996-1999 Service Information~February 2003
I also tried your edited line and that worked too, at least as far as getting the wiring diagrams instead of the script error. I don't know if it impacts any other areas of the program.

Ultimately what I suspect made the difference is #3 above. Topol_86 posted this in another topic here:

Unfortunately their program is a PITA to use because it doesn't use vector elements so every button is tiny on a high resolution display, and the wiring diagrams show up tiny too so I have to save them and use an imaging app zoomed in just to read them.

I downloaded the ISO and apparently it has a password now . does anyone know it?

^ Can you be more specific? What /where did you get the ISO and where is it passworded, upon trying to extract a zip or rar file or do you mean installing or running the app?

If you mean the PACODE for Oasis during the 96-99 service manual installation, try 12345, or someone also reported that they just hit next and it still worked.

If you mean the 1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD ISO file won't unrar or unzip to the ISO, here is an alternate download that isn't password protected:

^ Can you be more specific? What /where did you get the ISO and where is it passworded, upon trying to extract a zip or rar file or do you mean installing or running the app?

If you mean the PACODE for Oasis during the 96-99 service manual installation, try 12345, or someone also reported that they just hit next and it still worked.

If you mean the 1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD ISO file won't unrar or unzip to the ISO, here is an alternate download that isn't password protected:
I dont know i tried downloading from that mega link you jsut posted and it gets to 100% and locks my computer up. i dont know where its downloading to as it doesnt ask me for a locatrion. i give up

It's several individual PDF files joined together so no table of contents or index, and the embedded links are broken but being an electronic file that is less important... say you search for "ball joints", it'll find that. Being over 5,000 pages it does take a while to search but contrary to the initial warning it does not take long at all for it to load on Foxit Reader with my modest few-years-old system, needs about 160MB of memory to load. Might be too much for a phone to handle, then again phones these days are amazing...

rJ48fnbl.jpg

Many thanks to you, and Hacra, for making this available! Much more useful than the Chilton manual I just got.

Here are some wiring diagrams, though I don't know if they apply to all 95-01 model years. Come to think of it, I don't recall where they came from either, apparently I was a glutton for collecting them about 4 year ago, but they've been more useful to me than the manual because this forum rocks:

MEGA

4.6MB Zipped PDFs

If the linked download above should ever fail, message me your email address and I'll email them.

thanks! that does help, i think. although from the AC diagram it does not look like there is a relay for the rear blower motor, which i had been led to believe existed. hmmm....

Here are some wiring diagrams, though I don't know if they apply to all 95-01 model years. Come to think of it, I don't recall where they came from either, apparently I was a glutton for collecting them about 4 year ago, but they've been more useful to me than the manual because this forum rocks:

MEGA

4.6MB Zipped PDFs

If the linked download above should ever fail, message me your email address and I'll email them.
Thanks for ther information.

In case any of you ever tried to find proper manual to fix your car, here's one

- 1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual
- 5567 pages

Warning: Loading of the file can take REALLY long due to the massive amount of pages in it.

I hope the link works (if not i'll try find alternative for the site to share from or create torrent)

maybe someone will help.

theres no messgae in your post, just quote ;)

theres no messgae in your post, just quote ;)
Thanks for the heads up ;-) I was trying to only reply to a post, guess i made a mistake. What I was trying to convey was that I found that on dropbox and downloaded it. If anyone has a problem downloading/getting it from dropbox just message me and i can send it to you in PDF form. Peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DUUUUUDE!!! Thank you sooooo much for this?? I'm sure you took a long time to assemble this document. Thank you kindly

Back